Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advise needed,

I have a 2002 Tundra 4.7 4wd. Best truck I have ever owned. Also have 2003 sequoia.
The tundra is up for some service that I'm not comfortable doing myself. Do you guys recommend changing the water pump while changing the timing belt. Also, what other than changing the plugs is involved in a tune up? The timing belt part of the service costs 600.00 and the tune up part costs 600.00 for a total of 1200 so says my dealer. I can do the plugs and fluids etc.. Thanks for your help..

Barry

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Definitely do the water pump. Plugs are cheap and easy to do yourself. I don't know what is involved in the "tune up". Ask them if that includes new muffler bearings. I would maybe do fluids, clean throttle body and mass air sensor, belts, hoses,etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah. I have the same truck. Do the water pump. My good local mechanich charged me 800 for the whole thing, with tune up and fluids changes, including tranny. Question. Any advise for Headers for my truck. Don't want to loose MPG's

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
As was mentioned, you should have them do the water pump when having the timing
belt changed. Changing the plugs is very easy. Don't get hung up on
overpaying for 1 million mile plugs :D, just replace them with the same Denso's
that came with the truck or the NGK equivalent. Change the air filter, check
the pcv valve, change fluids and even change the fuel filter if you feel up
to it. You should be able to do all of that yourself if you're halfway mechanically
inclined and with a Haynes or Chilton's manual by your side. If you do a search
on this site there are probably instructions in the appropriate DIY section from
members here who have done it. Good luck.

John

·
Registered
51 Posts
my water pump looked worse then my timing belt so was the others....my truck had 122K
I have changed;
water pump
timing belt
both TB puleys
serpentine belt
timing belt tensioner
cooling fluid
radiators upper and lower hoses
thermostat
transmission fluid( be mentally prepered to find things there:()

1 - 6 of 6 Posts