Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate some input from some of the high mileage owners. I am at 90,000 miles and have only had the routine inspections and 7000mile synthetic oil changes. I am at the point now where I am going to keep this truck until the wheels fall off and want to ensure that I "dot all of the I's and cross all the T's". I know what the service log says about the 90k service but also realize that there may be some options to omit or add. What are your thoughts?

*2007 DC, 5.7l, 4x4
*only drive 7k per year now
*only fluids ever changed = oil (synthetic)

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have 142K miles on a 2002 and I can only recommend doing any necessary services, like the timing belt, if it hasn't been done but other than that if you keep the truck well serviced there's just not much to say other than that truck is just getting broke in. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
change the oil. if u tow heavy crap then change the diff fluid. u could buy into the whole trans flush debate but i wouldnt.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spark plugs?

Any type of injection system tune-up?

My fuel mileage is in the pits from what it used to be

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would have your throttle body inspected. If it has carbon build up.. Ask them to "hand clean it" with a soft toothbrush (or other soft cloth) & throttle body cleaner..

Definitely replaced the differential fluids front and rear, along with transfer case. Also, if your rear diff is a LSD.. Be sure they use limited slip additive along with their fluid. It cost extra.. But is worth it. Even if they say their fluid meets the requirements for LSD's.. Use LSD additive.

I've replaced 3 Tundra 5.7L water pumps already, so have them get a good look at it.. With a small telescopic mirror even, for a better view (power train warranty). Inspect the drive belt of course.. That thing isn't cheap!

Other optional services.. Which I do every year.. Fuel injector service, power steering fluid flush and replace the cabin a/c filter.

If you're planning on keeping it till the wheels fall off.. It'll be worth the cost of service!!

Oh, one more thing.. Have them check the rear drive shaft's slip yoke for possible transmission fluid leak! There's a tsb on it. Most people HERE will already know of it! It's a very small leak in most cases.

Bite the bullet! Ha, jk..

Don't forget a loaner/rental ;o)

Jake.

NO on the spark plugs** Not till 120k miles

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how bout a car wash too while your at it lol
I plan on having the girlfriend take care of that when she drops it off for service! It's hard to keep a farm truck clean - luckily it rains a lot in KY.

***plus the road film acts as a clear coat protectant

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
i hear ya...i live on a farm also, and here in east tx we got them red iron dirt. really nasty when its raining cuss it gets really muddy and when it dry, its really dusty. hell i wash my truck 4 times since feb09. so how much is it gonna cost you for the 90k service?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just took mine in at 85k for the timing belt and to check out a few things. Had them clean the fuel system too while it was there. Original brakes still have over 60% of the pads remaining Got the truck back running as strong as new. If your running factory Denso Iridium plugs, don't bother changing them til 120k miles.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Just took mine in at 85k for the timing belt and to check out a few things. Had them clean the fuel system too while it was there. Original brakes still have over 60% of the pads remaining Got the truck back running as strong as new. If your running factory Denso Iridium plugs, don't bother changing them til 120k miles.
well he wont have to worry about a timing belt, he has a 5.7

side note, how much did the timing belt on your 4.7 run?

·
Registered
166 Posts
True, my dealer charged me a $400+tax to replace the timing belt. Timing belt, replaced hoses (just cost parts since they had to come off for timing belt anyway), fuel system cleaning (BG fuel induction), battery service, fix finicky door lock, and check my brake pads came to $783.76.
Break down of my bill:
Fuel system cleaning $149.90
Battery service $32.00
Brake check free
fix finicky door lock $50.00
Timing belt replacement (plus the new hoses) $484.78
oops, edit: fix window that wasn't rolling down $50.00

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the info so far. My woman is taking the truck to the dealer tomorrow (let's hope that is not a mistake). Here is what I plan for them to do:

-routine inspection
-synth engine oil
-turn rotors (I have the vibrating steering wheel that is not consistent)
-inspect brakes
-DO NOT replace plugs (they are factory)
-Clean fuel system
-synthetic oil to diffs (I tow a lot)
-transfer case fluid change

Any final comments???

REPLACE or TURN ROTORS????

·
Registered
166 Posts
The plugs are $8 a piece and the dealership charges $250 (including the plugs) to change them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
$32 to service the battery? What the heck do they do to the battery that costs $32?
While I am at it don't you just love those check this item that they like to put on the list of things they do while charging you BIG bucks to look at something!

Rant off!

Webby

·
Registered
166 Posts
They cleaned the terminals (they had a little corrosion) and checked the battery. I'm actually really impressed with my dealership. I told them to go ahead and do the all brakes ($180 per axle) but they argued with me til I agreed I didn't need them yet lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She just dropped the truck off and gave them a list of EXACTLY what to do and what not to do. Unfortunately they did not have rotors in stock and agreed to let them resurface them (may be a mistake on my part).

She DID get a loaner car for the day

The service manager told her that the timing belt would be $485... she informed him that the 5.7 had a timing chain and they were not to touch it!:angrywife:

Thanks to everyone for the input. I will give an update on the final price later.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
i cant believe the service manager ask your wife about the timing belt on the 5.7! what a idiot and he suppose to be a "manager"

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I wonder how many times they have gotten away with the timing belt scam on 5'7s.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts