Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:attention:I called Toyota's customer assistance line. I was hung up on twice because according to the recorded message they had too many calls so I would have to call back. Then the phone went dead.. I then called again and got put on hold for 2 hours and 8 minutes. I was calling because I had just come from the dealership for the accelerator pedal and floor mat recall. They told me that my 2007 Camry with just 29,700 mile on it had bad break pads and rotors and I need to spend over $900 to have the breaks repaired. I told the dealership I need to talk with someone at Toyota. They gave me the customer assistance number to call. After I reached a representative I was told they would look into it and get back to me tomorrow. Because I did not receive a call back I went on the web and found a Toyota technical service bulletin saying that the 2007 Camry had bad break pads that would cause premature wear. It said do not tell the customers about this unless they complain. I called Toyota again; this time waited 1 hr for someone to answer. They said that the customer service bulletin T-BR007-07 was not for me but for the dealerships. I said well is says that the break pads installed in my car we defective and should be replaced, She said, that is only if you complain. I said, well I am complaining. Then I asked to talk with a supervisor. She said that was impossible today I would have to wait till Monday. I said, I have a car that is dangerous to drive, and I want to resolve the issue today. She said that is impossible. I said I will call back and ask to speak to a supervisor, she said no one will let you talk to a supervisor.

To say I am upset is an understatement. The car company has an internal document stating that my break pads are defective, but never tells me. I was just lucky that the service technician looked at the breaks when rotating my tires and discovered the problem. I and I and my family could have been injured or killed. We could have killed others. Toyota won’t even let me talk with someone to resolve this issue. They said I could go the dealership and talk to the customer relations manager. I did that and was told he is not in, and is not expected to be in for some time.

I am in disbelief and how reckless Toyota is with it customers. And I am very concerned about how I can drive this car. What else is wrong that they are not telling me about?? If you have any suggestions on how I can resolve this situation I will very much appreciate it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
:attention:I called Toyota's customer assistance line. I was hung up on twice because according to the recorded message they had too many calls so I would have to call back. Then the phone went dead.. I then called again and got put on hold for 2 hours and 8 minutes. I was calling because I had just come from the dealership for the accelerator pedal and floor mat recall. They told me that my 2007 Camry with just 29,700 mile on it had bad break pads and rotors and I need to spend over $900 to have the breaks repaired. I told the dealership I need to talk with someone at Toyota. They gave me the customer assistance number to call. After I reached a representative I was told they would look into it and get back to me tomorrow. Because I did not receive a call back I went on the web and found a Toyota technical service bulletin saying that the 2007 Camry had bad break pads that would cause premature wear. It said do not tell the customers about this unless they complain. I called Toyota again; this time waited 1 hr for someone to answer. They said that the customer service bulletin T-BR007-07 was not for me but for the dealerships. I said well is says that the break pads installed in my car we defective and should be replaced, She said, that is only if you complain. I said, well I am complaining. Then I asked to talk with a supervisor. She said that was impossible today I would have to wait till Monday. I said, I have a car that is dangerous to drive, and I want to resolve the issue today. She said that is impossible. I said I will call back and ask to speak to a supervisor, she said no one will let you talk to a supervisor.

To say I am upset is an understatement. The car company has an internal document stating that my break pads are defective, but never tells me. I was just lucky that the service technician looked at the breaks when rotating my tires and discovered the problem. I and I and my family could have been injured or killed. We could have killed others. Toyota won’t even let me talk with someone to resolve this issue. They said I could go the dealership and talk to the customer relations manager. I did that and was told he is not in, and is not expected to be in for some time.

I am in disbelief and how reckless Toyota is with it customers. And I am very concerned about how I can drive this car. What else is wrong that they are not telling me about?? If you have any suggestions on how I can resolve this situation I will very much appreciate it.

God, where to start............a TSB is NOT a recall.

1. Learn to spell BRAKE.

2. The brake pads are not safety defective. Chill out.............

3. Your mileage is unimportant if the car is more than 36 months old.

4. You cite a TSB for rear noisy or premature worn pads which may not apply to your VIN number.

5. The TSB for the front pads/rotors is T-SB-0169-09 dtd. 6/4/2009 and it is for vibration/pulsation, NOT wear. Again, over 36 months old and you are on your own.

6. You should be performing regular brake inspections yourself or having them performed. Read your Maintenance Booklet....what else haven't you checked.

7. If you didn't mention a vibration problem, have a late VIN number (TSB BR007-07) or the CAMRY is over 36 months old, then you are on your own....it's called routine maintenance.

I would also question the driver(s) of the Camry as to their driving skills. If the driver wants to ride the brakes, accelerate and then slam on the brakes then the brakes will wear prematurely as yours are "apparently".

My rear pads @ 47,000 miles are only worn 40% at the thinnest and my front pads are only 50% worn. They are checked at every tire rotation (5,000 - 6,000 miles)

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
They told me that my 2007 Camry with just 29,700 mile on it had bad break pads and rotors and I need to spend over $900 to have the breaks repaired.
Take it to an independent shop and have it repaired for much less. Brakes are a wear and tear item and will most likely not be covered.

jfisher04 said:
And I am very concerned about how I can drive this car. I and I and my family could have been injured or killed. We could have killed others.
So...you were fine with it for three years and all the sudden you are concerned? If you are that concerned, sell it and get something else. Camry's have good resell value. It's that easy :)

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Well, certainly agree with posts 2 & 3! The OP is like so many of the under-informed public, that continue to fuel Toyota's problems.........some of which just aren't true. IMHO

I'm not supporting all that Toyota has done, they are very guilty of withholding problems and fixes! Again, IMHO!

·
Registered
60 Posts

1. Learn to spell BRAKE.

4. You cite a TSB for rear noisy or premature worn pads which may not apply to your VIN number.

5. The TSB for the front pads/rotors is T-SB-0169-09 dtd. 6/4/2009 and it is for vibration/pulsation, NOT wear. Again, over 36 months old and you are on your own.

6. You should be performing regular brake inspections yourself or having them performed. Read your Maintenance Booklet....what else haven't you checked.

7. If you didn't mention a vibration problem, have a late VIN number (TSB BR007-07) or the CAMRY is over 36 months old, then you are on your own....it's called routine maintenance.

I would also question the driver(s) of the Camry as to their driving skills. If the driver wants to ride the brakes, accelerate and then slam on the brakes then the brakes will wear prematurely as yours are "apparently".

My rear pads @ 47,000 miles are only worn 40% at the thinnest and my front pads are only 50% worn. They are checked at every tire rotation (5,000 - 6,000 miles)
i agree!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Typical noob OP. Start a thread and never return.........

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

1. Learn to spell BRAKE.

Very well said!
OP is prob just a troll trying to stir the pot.......

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I work at a Toyota Dealer and this is all to common. Two weeks ago we had someone with a '96 Camry, 160K miles. They came in a complaint that there car had sudden, out controllable acceleration. Also someone last week that said their '03 Corolla darts all over the place on the highway. Both people have owned their cars for many years, say the problem has been there all the time but now they think Toyota should replace their cars at Toyota's expense. Really? Drive a car for years with a problem you feel that strongly about but now you want a new car. Where exactly does this logic come from? People actually convince themselves that this right! WTF.

As for brakes, I have changed them as soon a 4000 miles and some go over 100000 miles, about 35-40k seems average on '07 Camry models but there is no carved in stone number. Defective brake pads going to kill your family??? So, how exactly are noisy brakes going to kill anyone? How much more worn are your brakes now compared to your scheduled check at 25K? Or perhaps have you never checked anything on your car before??? Lack of maintenance is not Toyota's fault. If you feel that strongly about your family's safety, just how often do you check safety items on your car?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts