Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 92 4Runner 4WD Auto SR5 and the speedometer does not work the first time it is driven each day for the first mile and a half. Then it works good for the rest of the day. The truck originally came with 225/75/15 tires on the aluminum rims. I now have 265/75/15 on the aluminum rims and the speedometer is off by about 8.4%. I think the speed sensor on the tail shaft of the transfer case is bad. It has the 20 tooth gear and I am looking for the part number for the speed sensor with the 18 tooth gear.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found out from Mustang67498 that Toyota allows a 5MPH margin and offers only one gear with 20 teeth.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picked up a speed sensor from a junk yard. Installed a 18 tooth gear on the 20 tooth shaft. Checked the speedometer with a GPS and it is right on. Truck seems to run better and the mileage is up. Last tank was 17.6 MPG. Wish I would have done this long ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Coaltrain...what kind of MPG were you getting b4. I have a 93 model just like yours...It sucks up gas like you wouldn't believe. I've read that they are gas hogs...but, damn.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the 3.0 is a gas hog. I was getting 15-16mpg on the highway before. I am running a free flow cat and the dynomax cat back exhaust system. The truck seems to have more power than it did before I changed the speedometer gear from 20 teeth to 18 teeth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts