Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Book specs are DexII and that stuff went outta style like Slick Willy! What would be the correct ATF for this CVT Tranny, DEXIII? seems they make like 2 different types and coming up on 120K and 2nd flush? Never had any issues with tranny but justwanta put correct ATF in it without breaking the bank! Looking to trade soon?:tu: got my eye on a FJ Cruiser with 3" Lift and aftermarket rims and wheels!! saw one lifted and retreaded by local dealership and it was NICE!! wife need new ride?:tu:

·
"Rosco" Thread Derailer
5,778 Posts
Hog, you'll be fine with DexIII.
BTW, depending what engine you have, the trans is either a 17 or 18 bolt trans pan. Make sure to count the bolts on the pan when ordering the trans filter kit.

Good luck with your new FJ...sounds nice!:tu:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hog, you'll be fine with DexIII.
BTW, depending what engine you have, the trans is either a 17 or 18 bolt trans pan. Make sure to count the bolts on the pan when ordering the trans filter kit.

Good luck with your new FJ...sounds nice!:tu:
Hey thanks! do you know the difference in the 2 different Dex III's ? i will write down the name differences pep boys had no clue and bottles did not state exactly? i guess i will just go to Toyota and see if they have the wrong fluid:confused: i get 25% discount so they should be able to hook me up! i need a filter & gasket anyway!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Since urs is a really old vehicle, I will drain the pan bolt and put in some good ATF (usaually the pan hold 3-4Q). Be nice to the vehicle tranny since it is old.

I like Chevron MD3 which is readily available in many shops, I wouldn't mind using SuperTech too.

DONOT flush the tranny, it will get overwhelmed and die.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since urs is a really old vehicle, I will drain the pan bolt and put in some good ATF (usaually the pan hold 3-4Q). Be nice to the vehicle tranny since it is old.

I like Chevron MD3 which is readily available in many shops, I wouldn't mind using SuperTech too.

DONOT flush the tranny, it will get overwhelmed and die.
never heard of those fluids but i will check them out, i flushed at 60K and have had no issues which is required flush cycles? i guess no one knows the difference in the 2 dexIII fluids so i guess i will dig a little Thanks a group for yalls inputs! yea every time i put gas in it i get nervous!! LOL!!:tu:

·
Registered
483 Posts
FYI, MD3 - stands for Mercon/DexronIII.

Apparently Ford and GM have stopped issuing licenses for DexronIII/Mercon fluids. And since it a trademark violation to continue to use the above 2 words, the oil companies still continue to sell DexronIII/Mercon since there are millions of vehicles needing the fluids with innovative names like MD3 etc.

If you went to Walmart etc., you shouldn't find DexronIII/Mercon fluids and none of the bottles will have the license numbers....

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI, MD3 - stands for Mercon/DexronIII.

Apparently Ford and GM have stopped issuing licenses for DexronIII/Mercon fluids. And since it a trademark violation to continue to use the above 2 words, the oil companies still continue to sell DexronIII/Mercon since there are millions of vehicles needing the fluids with innovative names like MD3 etc.

If you went to Walmart etc., you shouldn't find DexronIII/Mercon fluids and none of the bottles will have the license numbers....
this should be my last service probably anyway!! thanks for the info and my manual say 2.6 Qt and i will run a gallon thru thier between next oil change and hopefully trade it in on a FJ!! SOON:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts