Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

have a 06 Tundra double cab - am going to lift is 3 in up front (TOYTEC lift) and have read many post about replacing the CV boots due to tears after installing the lift. Will also do the 1 in diff drop.

QUETIONS

Have looked at the 930 CV boot from KARTEK but am not certain which one to get -
( Kartek Off Road - 930 CV Boots ) - does anyone have the specific part number?

Also looked at another post that recommended the following:
BOOTS - 930 CV Boots
CLIPS - CIRCLIPS (SPIRAL), PORSCHE 930 AXLES, EACH

has anyone used these - how do they compare to the KARTEK ones?

- - - ALSO have read a few post about doing an inner CV MOD when replacing boots with 930CV? (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/81309-kartek-930-cv-boots/) - - (** on your inner cv's there is a goldish sheild that tapers down from the cv itself towards the shaft, that has to be cut off to the last lip of it. on full droop the boot hits this and eventualy tears due to the lifted suspension. therefor once you cut off this piece you will need the kartek boots to go over the whole cv, the mod should be on here somewhere if u have access to it.) - -

QUESTION - is doing the inner CV mod necessary? has anyone replaced the CV boots without the inner CV MOD - what was your results - how long ago and have you had any other problems?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I have never touched the inner CV joints, and I am running the 930-style boots from Kartek, with the included clamps for the CV, and a generic pipe clamp from the hardware store at the axle end of the boot.

Been running that setup for years, never had a problem, when I switched to LT, the old boots were beginning to wear thin in the minor outside diameter of the baffles, so they became spares for a friend and I set up the truck with new ones.

I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 3" Toytec lift on my 01 tundra and i just went with the Kartek Boot and the hose clamp style crimps. I have never had a problem with them and would highly recommend them. I am not sure on the part number, but call this number …(951) 737-2999 and tell the guy your year, make and model and he will get it all figured out. They have very good customer service. Also make sure you understand the instructions on how to install them. You have to leave your OEM boot on and the Kartek boot goes over it. If you don’t leave the OEM boot on the inner CV opening will be too big and won’t clamp down onto the axle. You will only clamp the inner CV and not the outer; they do this so the CV can breathe. Hope that helped... They run about 60 bucks for everything.

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
I just did the hose clamp mod on stock boots. With a diff drop, Not sure how long it's been. Thinking something around a year or so but no problems.
Same here. About 3-4 yrs now too.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Bring back an old thread. I looked under the truck the other day and saw I have a cut CV boot. I'm wondering what exact 930 boot I need from Kartek. There's alot of options and I can't find any specific part number for our truck. Thanks for the help!

Kartek Off Road - 930 CV Boots

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
You need to take some measurements of the CV axles and match the boot diameters as best you can. On my '05 the front axles are:
flange OD: 4.000"
axle OD: 1.125"

Some members have said they used a few different styles of boots and were unable to seat the flange OD properly, a small gap or something like that.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Thanks Tundradrenalin. I'll give it a try. I have a week long trip up in the Serria's coming up and I need this fixed ASAP!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have a set of karteks that I got a while back. I was going to have them installed when my frame was replaced, but the tech said the same thing about the gap so they were never installed. They sit on my desk and collect dust.

Mine are 4.25" and 7/8" (axle side seems small)

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
I have a set of karteks that I got a while back. I was going to have them installed when my frame was replaced, but the tech said the same thing about the gap so they were never installed. They sit on my desk and collect dust.

Mine are 4.25" and 7/8" (axle side seems small)
Of course if he tried to hook the Kartek boots up to the OE boot flange the boot diameter would be like 1.5" too big. Was he going to mount them up to the outside of the bearing cage? That's how these cv boots are supposed to hook up, over the cage. There's still a little gap though. Not sure how to overcome that at the moment.

Some people go even further and do a "cage mod" where they grind/cut off the cage lip, allowing for more cv articulation.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Of course if he tried to hook the Kartek boots up to the OE boot flange the boot diameter would be like 1.5" too big. Was he going to mount them up to the outside of the bearing cage? That's how these cv boots are supposed to hook up, over the cage. There's still a little gap though. Not sure how to overcome that at the moment.

Some people go even further and do a "cage mod" where they grind/cut off the cage lip, allowing for more cv articulation.

I have no idea. I was at college at the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts