Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, gross comparison, I realize. Have gone thru the threads, intro'd myself in the Canadian section, and figured it would be worthwhile to get some ideas back from the savvy veterans here.

Sold my Ram 2500 and want to add to the Toy family (just bought a Prius this spring for my wife/family). Wracking my brains whether to get an older model, such as a local 94 (4wd, 122K kms...or about 75K mi in very good shape for sale) or plunge for an 06 Tundra, dbl cab, ltd (looking at one with 115K kms...or about 70K mi) in great shape. The 94 is solid and relatively clean, a little bit of brown showing at the seam below the doors and the clear coat is starting to peel. The price is/seems reasonable from what I've managed to discover about these trucks.

Go for a good beater that should last or for a decent truck that should last still longer? I ride my Beemer (moto) the majority of the time, so the truck will be for some hunting and inclement (=snow) weather. I know...how much do I want to spend... and the 94 would likely be fine. But...dang...I think I'm wrestling with Tundra-envy. Many of you, I'm reading, have gone thru various models and could speak to pros/cons. And someone's going to tell me the answer is staring me in the face (there, I said it first). I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Alrighty. I had a 91 pickup before the tundra. Loved the truck and they are great. Not sure what engine the one you are looking at has but I had the v6 in mine. Honestly the v8 in my 06 tundra gets about the same gas mileage as the 91 v6 pickup did. The 91 was way underpowered for a v6 in my opinion, and if I got another one for a toy I would probably go back to the 22re 4cyl which my 93 4runner had. Not a lot of power but got the job done. Very reliable, that engine has been around forever and a day. The 06 Tundra on the other hand I'm sure has a slightly larger price tag unless it is very high miles, but those pickups hold their value well. I love the tundra and it would have way more power than the older truck for doing whatever you intend to use a truck for. a bit larger but a good size, in between the older pickup or the tacoma and the newer tundra. My main selling feature for upgrading to a tundra was the gas mileage though. that 6 was terrible and figured i may as well own a bigger truck with a v8. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
544 Posts
My dad has a 91 4runner with a 22re... 190k on it runs like a top even if it was beat to hell as it is.... My old 00 V8 had 214k... still see it around maybe 250 on it now?

That said... If it was a 4cyl it would be a good idea very torquey albeit slow engine but it gets the job done without a problem and very easy to repair when theres any problems, a V6 i wouldn't... my uncle has one that blew a couple of head gaskets and needs a rebuild.

An 06' tundra... Definitely a good truck, last year this gen came out with... Had all the kinks ironed out, VVTI Engine, 5 speed transmission... Obviously Wayyyyyy more comfortable and powerful.

You cant really go wrong with any... You should Buy both :first:

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
If it was me I would go with the newer one. Simpy because that 94 is over 16 years old now. Things start to wear over time, not just miles. Hoses and belts crack. Metal fatigues. Brake lines rot. Not sure if they use salt on the roads in BC or now much cold you get where you, you did not specify location, but big swings in temperature can take their toll on a car over the years. I say go newer. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You cant really go wrong with any... You should Buy both :first:
I second that! I have a 96 Tacoma and an 04 Tundra.

Sometimes I think the Tacoma is going to outlast the Tundra. Even with 146K it drives like it has 30K. The early Pick-Ups and Tacomas were how Toyota built their reputation.
Today they need to issue recalls just to try to retain a fraction of the reputation they once had.

IMHO

<TUNDRA>

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Had a '94 pickup (ext. cab, 4WD V6 5 sp). It was starting to rust, (most of the Toyota trucks I see here in Michigan of that model, '89 - early '95 have rust issues) I had transmission issues, and the engine was getting noisy when I sold it at 138K. My '04 Tundra has 240K, still runs great. It is a much better, more comfortable, and more powerful truck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a soft spot for the older toyota pickups! IMHO there is not a tougher truck on the road with rust being there only real weakness provided they are properly maintained. That said my Dad has an 06 Double Cab TRD SR5 and its a beautiful truck! He is very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Buy what you like and enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nah, nothing bought yet. Jury's still out. Been reading the threads on the different years, thinking, hemming and hawing. No huge rush. Leaning more towards the older one (which reminds me: When did Toy start putting in the V8?) for savings and because it'll be the backup vehicle, and because it has such low mileage and is in great shape. Speaking of rust...worthwhile getting into the crevices and spraying some inhibitor or something?
But I'll be letting folks know what I get...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: Checked more on the 94. V6, timing belt & water pump have not been changed, and it needs a new windshield. Driver's side back seat has the front left corner worn away down to the foam. The guy has dropped his price ($8K CDN, which seems not bad for this vintage and low mileage). And he's eager to sell. Hmmm...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Update: Checked more on the 94. V6, timing belt & water pump have not been changed, and it needs a new windshield. Driver's side back seat has the front left corner worn away down to the foam. The guy has dropped his price ($8K CDN, which seems not bad for this vintage and low mileage). And he's eager to sell. Hmmm...
Wow! $7800 US!:eek: how much for the tundra?
Here in cali the best condition similar truck would be around half that price!

·
Registered
330 Posts
i also owned a 92 pickup, and i now own a 02 tundra, the pickup doesnt even compare, i as well find i get better fuel milage with the v8, and the v6 also has the head gasket problem, id go for the 06!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I currently have both a 94 short cab 4x4 22re & 5spd 138K, and an 06 Dcab 4x4 TRD 28K.
If I had another, more comfortable vehicle to drive daily accross all the rail road tracks, I would be keeping the 94. But to be comfortable in my daily commute, I had to get the 06. Mileage is better on the 94 by 4-5 mpg, but the power of the 4.7 is nice on all the hills. I really have to wind the 94 out to get up the hills.
If you are going to drive the truck all the time, get the Tundra, if its more of a weekend warrior truck, get the 94, and save some money.

BTW: my 94 is for sale for less than 7800US ;)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
OK, gross comparison, I realize. Have gone thru the threads, intro'd myself in the Canadian section, and figured it would be worthwhile to get some ideas back from the savvy veterans here.

Sold my Ram 2500 and want to add to the Toy family (just bought a Prius this spring for my wife/family). Wracking my brains whether to get an older model, such as a local 94 (4wd, 122K kms...or about 75K mi in very good shape for sale) or plunge for an 06 Tundra, dbl cab, ltd (looking at one with 115K kms...or about 70K mi) in great shape. The 94 is solid and relatively clean, a little bit of brown showing at the seam below the doors and the clear coat is starting to peel. The price is/seems reasonable from what I've managed to discover about these trucks.

Go for a good beater that should last or for a decent truck that should last still longer? I ride my Beemer (moto) the majority of the time, so the truck will be for some hunting and inclement (=snow) weather. I know...how much do I want to spend... and the 94 would likely be fine. But...dang...I think I'm wrestling with Tundra-envy. Many of you, I'm reading, have gone thru various models and could speak to pros/cons. And someone's going to tell me the answer is staring me in the face (there, I said it first). I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
I have 93 Ext Cab 4x4 which you can check out on my pic page, it has given me way less trouble than my 06 Tundra DC and i would say if you could find one in great shape without rust get the made in Japan model. My 93 now has 252K miles on it and yes it has the 3.0 V6 which so far has not given me very much trouble at all and runs great on the highway at 80 & 90 MPH and to do that here in the high desert it has to be reliable or you could be in serious trouble really fast! My 06 DC has given me all kinds of trouble and to tell you the truth my 93 rides better than my 06 DC! My 93 was born on the Navajo Indian reservation and was in great shape when i got it with over 100K miles and i put another 100K+ on it and all i have done is replaced the Clutch,PP,TB,WP& tensioners and both seals which was way over due for that many miles. If ya want one that will give you less trouble go with the 94 if it has been taken care of, if not do the 06 becasue ALL Toyota replacement parts are expensive!:D

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4

Search for Hawkfanatic on photobucket to see more pics, I cant get there from work.
Beautiful ol'Toy you have there! If it was me I would never sell it! Every truck I have ever owned has been white (it has to be white!! :D ) good luck with the sale

1 - 20 of 21 Posts