Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a 95-97 Land Cruiser and plan on using it to tow a two horse trailer (probably 2400 lbs. of horses + trailer ) and live in Colorado where I might be going over passes in the range of 9000 ft. Is the vehicle capable of towing the weight and would it be real sluggish on the passes? Also I have read of a 'tow package' on the LC. It is rated at 5000 lbs. but with the tow package is the rating higher?
Is the V8 in the newer LCs a better bet for Colorado?

Thanks, Burt

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am sure you have probably made a decision by now, but, YES, the 80 series will be sluggish pulling that much weight. Don't get me wrong...it will do it willingly, it will just be 'sluggish'. The 4.5L Inline 6 will do whatever you ask of it, but it just may take you longer to do it than with the V-8.

·
Registered
552 Posts
All North American 80 series Land Cruisers have the "optional" tow package, capacity 5000lbs. Not all came with the tow hitch though, that should be about $150. I would expect the FZJ80 to be slow but steady with that load on the passes, the 100 series (98+ w/V8) will definitely do better, but it can be twice the price, or more. I have one of each! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts