Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, thanks and kudos to the people on this forum. I just finished replacing the back latch handle on my Sequoia, and there's no way I could have done it without the detailed directions of forum participants here.

As for my question, it has to do with the 4WD on my old, '97 Runner. I'm getting ready to sell it and the only mechanical issue it currently has is that the 4-HI won't engage. 4-LO works fine, but when I shift into 4-HI the light doesn't come on and I'm pretty confident in driving it that the four wheel drive isn't engaged. I'm essentially looking for information in two areas:

1. Is this an issue that could likely be handled in an afternoon of work in the driveway, or will it maybe require dropping the transfer case, etc?

2. If it's probable that a mechanic would be best for the job, what's the estimated cost for a fix?

Again, thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Broke down and took it to the mechanic. Turns out when I did the clutch on it awhile back I had switched the wiring that engages the four wheel drive. The wires are the same color and the receptacles are identical, but switching them around resolved the issue. It took the mechanic about 20 mins to figure it out.

So, to answer my questions, yes it could have been done in my driveway (had I known what the problem was), but the cost was about $30 at the mechanic. However, before finding the wiring problem, the mechanic did drain some transfer case fluid looking for metal pieces, which would have indicated the need for a transfer case rebuild. Had this been necessary, the cost was estimated at $600-$900, and probably isn't a driveway project for most.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts