Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to tackle this as the rotors have a slight vibration.
I have questions. The rotors were turned once; can they be turned again or do I need new one?
Also, when pushing the calopers back, do I need to open the bleeding valve vs. pushing the fluid back up to the reservoir.( I read this in another post)
And do I need to put the stop squeal cream just on the outsides of the pads or also between the pads & the shims. (I am assuming they do have vibration shims)
The last Honda I replaced, did not come with shims, but I used the old ones off the old pads.
I am new and just learning how to do this.
I have found Toyota Parts 1998 Avalon XL/XLS Toyota Brake Pad Set. Is this the best place to buy the parts? I for sure want OEM parts the same as the dealer sells, and what came on the car. I have not had good luck with the ceramic or high preformance options.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am about to tackle this as the rotors have a slight vibration.
I have questions. The rotors were turned once; can they be turned again or do I need new one?
Also, when pushing the calopers back, do I need to open the bleeding valve vs. pushing the fluid back up to the reservoir.( I read this in another post)
And do I need to put the stop squeal cream just on the outsides of the pads or also between the pads & the shims. (I am assuming they do have vibration shims)
The last Honda I replaced, did not come with shims, but I used the old ones off the old pads.
I am new and just learning how to do this.
I have found Toyota Parts 1998 Avalon XL/XLS Toyota Brake Pad Set. Is this the best place to buy the parts? I for sure want OEM parts the same as the dealer sells, and what came on the car. I have not had good luck with the ceramic or high preformance options.
When I did our old '99 Avalon, I opened the reservoir & used a turkey baster to remove the fluid there's a strainer basket that will have to be removed to get most of the old fluid out. After swapping the pads, I flushed the system with a Motive Products power flusher & Valvoline synthetic DOT 3 brake fluid.

As for rotors, it depends on how much is left. Sometimes they are only good for one turning & then require replacement. They'll have to be measured with dial calipers to check for thickness.

FWIW, I used Akibono ProACT ceramic pads & they worked excellantly.

Put the no-squeak stuff on the back of the pads & the shims.

HTH

1 - 2 of 2 Posts