Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend here at school has a 98 Rav4. When she cold starts it, it flutters around 400rpm or so and appears to be missing. Give it a bit of gas and it's fine. If i shut it off again and restart it, it misses again. Once warmed up though it doesn't do this.

I thought it may be the spark plugs but she told me they were recently replaced. A friend said maybe a fuel filter? It does have 73,000 miles on it.

Any thought greatly appreciated. She's a little afraid to drive it to far.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
My friend here at school has a 98 Rav4. When she cold starts it, it flutters around 400rpm or so and appears to be missing. Give it a bit of gas and it's fine. If i shut it off again and restart it, it misses again. Once warmed up though it doesn't do this.

I thought it may be the spark plugs but she told me they were recently replaced. A friend said maybe a fuel filter? It does have 73,000 miles on it.

Any thought greatly appreciated. She's a little afraid to drive it to far.
Check the egr valve, and possibly the TPS - my bet is the egr valve is stuck open and/or the egr solenoid is leaky. I'm assuming she has no CEL?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the egr valve, and possibly the TPS - my bet is the egr valve is stuck open and/or the egr solenoid is leaky. I'm assuming she has no CEL?
Correct there is no CEL on. I am assuming that the egr valve is on the throttle body. Probably easy to take off too. Maybe I'll try to find a manual to find exactly where it is.

Thank you for the tip. I really appreciate it. I'd rather fix it myself than her pay a ridiculous amount of money taking it to a shop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts