Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
While driving my brother's truck ('98 4x4 tacoma, auto 5VZ), I've noticed that upon moderate to heavy acceleration there is a "shudder". This occurs at roughly 20- 40mph. Could this be the trans? or torque converter? There are 236,000 miles on the whole powertrain.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have used the search option with no luck.

Thanks in advance
MATT

·
Registered
910 Posts
Depends on what you mean by shudder....I would try to diagnose this by figuring out if the symptoms occur under engine load or just at a specific speed. An engine in need of a tune up can feel like it has a vibration when under load. An easy way to determine this is to get to a speed where overdrive has kicked in, then let the truck slow down just before overdrive kicks out. Slowly roll on some throttle to try to accelerate. If this is the sort of condition that produces the vibration or shudder, it's likely that it's a case of worn tune-up items.

Now, if you get the shudder when accelerating in only a specific gear or a specific speed, it could be a driveline issue.

When was the last time that the truck was tuned up, including plugs, plug wires, and cap/rotor (if applicable)?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know. The truck belongs to my bro. The vibration was felt at my feet, but not from the pedal. It would only do it between 20 and 40 mph with about 3/4 throttle. I'm not sure how long it's been since he tuned it, I am considering buying it and just was curious if this was an obvious problem. I will troubleshoot and then post my findings

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts