Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I've needed to post:) I have been pretty religious about fluid changes, and it's time again for the trans/transfer case and diffs. The last time I did the transmission (automatic) 2 years ago, I had the local dealer do a complete flush because I'm over 100K (and when I bought the rig the fluid looked nasty), and the way I understand it, the amount that comes out when I open the drain plug is only a portion of what the transmission holds. Will unhooking the lines running into the radiator allow me to get much more fluid out, and if so, should I use compressed air to help?

Time for tires too. I had good luck with Bridgestone Dueler Revos (mostly driven on pavement), though I thought 40K was a little light on mileage. I can't afford the new Revo IIs and was looking at Firestone Destination A/Ts. I don't do any serious wheeling but we have a cabin that's 17 miles out on dirt, with a pretty rocky section. My family and friends have all gotten flats at one time or another (my brother has gotten 3 with his Acura MDX's weenie street tires), but I haven't gotten one with my Revos until last weekend (though the tread is getting pretty thin). OK, as far as the Destinations, I read good things on Tire Rack and other sites but wondered what you guys think. And, would getting them in a higher ply LT version give much better rock protection, or is it just luck? How much will LT rated tires affect my ride quality on pavement? If the extra $$ for the LTs turn out to add up to the price of a new tire I'll just go with the P-metric version.
R

·
Registered
7 Posts
A toyota mechanic volunteered to me that they rarely remove the tranny pan and clean the filter. he said it is almost always 99% clean. All they do is drain and refill with what the refill amt is. If you want the flush, they will do that. Drain and refill is what I have been doing twice a year in my driveway, for 3 years now. Its quick and easy, and the stuff thats in the converter will get diluted with the new, and after a couple of drain/refills its all good throughout. And stays good as long as you continue the ritual.
I wouldn't use the air hose blow out the lines etc method. I suspect that may be problematic.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts