Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 99 XLE from my neighbors. Getting it ready for my wife to drive and the main issue is the power sliding door.
It opens completely without hesitation.
Closing is a different story. After pushing on the remote button I hear two clicks on the inside but the door doesn't move.

I have gone through the TSB's and have a couple of questions:
do I need to mess with the head liner to get the rear interior passenger side panel off? really?
I am thinking that this is not a cable adjustment problem because the door opens, correct?

Any pointers on what to expect? I hate to spend any money beyond buying the parts from the dealer. I am a skilled shade tree mechanic.

The TSB's don't indicate my problem (opens, but doesn't close), will I be replacing parts until it works or can it be narrowed down to a single part?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
Thoses slide door ECU's are common failures, for just the problem you describe.
Make sure the door pin connector is not broken. This is the black plastic piece on the front of the slide door with all the electrical pins in it. You will get erroneous readings if it is broken.
If this piece is ok, then 99% of the time the slide door ECU is bad.

You can try to reset it, but it usually goes brain dead and has to be replaced.
To reset it:

Make sure main switch is "ON" (red line showing)

1: disconnect battery
2: open slide door manually about 1/2 way
3: wait 2 minutes
4: reconnect battery
5: MANUALLY CLOSE SLIDE DOOR
6: Start vehicle
7: open and close slide door with switch until main "DOOR" light goes out.

If this doesnt work , then you need a slide door ecu.

NO, you do not have to remove the headliner to get to the slide door ecu.
NO, the cables are not out of adjustment causing this.
1% chance the OPTICAL SENSOR is bad. (It only comes with Motor/Cable assy), best to replace ECU first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had already tried the re-initialization from the user manuals, but I will try yours as well as it is slight different.

The dealer wants $350 for the ECU. If the interior panel removal is just that I might try that. Any tips on removing it?

Thanks.

Robert

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
Here is a PDF to show approx how to get to the slide door ecu.
STOP AT STEP 5.
The Slide door ecu is behind the motor drive assy and can be removed WITHOUT removing the drive/cable assy.

There is an updated ECU as per TSB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I have a 2001 Sienna and the Drivers sliding door would open half way then stick. You couldn't close or open. I took van to dealer and they wanted $1800.00 to replace motor w/labor. I removed motor myself and found the cable plastic covering had broken off and jamed in the passage ways and was binding the cable. Once I cleaned out the plastic the motor wouldn't work. I followed you advice on the tsb and alls ok. Thanks amanhome aka Marc

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
Hello, I have a 2001 Sienna and the Drivers sliding door would open half way then stick. You couldn't close or open. I took van to dealer and they wanted $1800.00 to replace motor w/labor. I removed motor myself and found the cable plastic covering had broken off and jamed in the passage ways and was binding the cable. Once I cleaned out the plastic the motor wouldn't work. I followed you advice on the tsb and alls ok. Thanks amanhome aka Marc
Glad everything worked :tu: :D
TS ROCKS!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is a PDF to show approx how to get to the slide door ecu.
STOP AT STEP 5.
The Slide door ecu is behind the motor drive assy and can be removed WITHOUT removing the drive/cable assy.

There is an updated ECU as per TSB
Hi mustang67408 I can't see the PDF :frustrating:

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
I removed it due to.... lets just say MEAN & DEMANDING PEOPLE.
PM me your e-mail and I will send it to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts