Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually just float around the Tundra side as I just stepped into a new one, but I have a couple of questions if any of you have time to help out with.
I bought my son a 99 Tacoma Pre-Runner extended cab and not really knowing that much about it had a mechanic at the Toyota stealer ship go through it. Everything was in good shape at 114,000 miles. Did tune up, changed timing belt and all fluids along with new brakes. Rotors were in good shape. Then i took it and had a new set of Firestone Destination A/T's put on it. I not knowing any better did not notice the wheels on the truck were 15". I am looking at putting a small lift, maybe 3" and getting him some wheels for it. Now, everytime I pull up this model on wheel sites it states a 16" wheel. Do any of you know exactly what came on it? It has the alloy wheels 5 spoke, but they are 15". I don't know if the people that had it before had put different wheels on it and when they sold it just found some that would fit and put back on it.
Should i go with 16" wheels. I know there are probably many post on this. I went through 22 pages and did not find anything relating to this matter. Any help would be appreciated. One big plus is that I climbed underneath the truck and no frame rust at all. I guess being down here in the south and not subjected to the salt in the winter made a big difference for it.
Looking at putting the 5100's on it for a little lift and maybe trying to fit 33"s on it. Just a little something extra to go along with his other graduation toys.
Thanks for any help regarding this little project.
Zeeya,

·
Registered
842 Posts
my 98 taco 6 lug is a 15 inch wheel also..not too sure on what tires sizes would fit with a lift though.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
Here is a chart from the owners manual for the options of tires and rims for that vehicle.
The 4x4 and pre-runners came with 15"
The 2wd Taco's came with 14"
You can install 16's just becareful on tire size and rubbing, this may also effectivly raise your overall gear ratio, so it wont pull hills or tow as well, but that is case sensitive, some poeple see the need to rear gear and some people think it still pulls fine, that will be up to you.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mustang, thanks for the info. Good file for reference for my son to keep.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts