Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.......... I've been to the Toyota dealership three times on the latest recalls, and I'm going backwards instead of making progress.

Here's what happened...........

(1) took tundra in for the AOA recall (Sticky pedal recall); they installed shims in my old pedal.
(2) I decided I wanted the new pedal installed instead of going through life "shimmed up". No problem, they ordered me a new pedal.
(3) Got new pedal installed and the next day they called me and asked to bring the truck back because their technician had installed shims in my new pedal. They should not have done this.
(4) Took truck back today to get shims removed. Then............ they called me saying the 9OL recall (Carpet floor mat height/clearance recall) is now available, and asked if I wanted it done. They said the computer would be programmed so that the brakes would override the accelerator. I gave my "yes" vote to do it while the truck was in the shop. When I pick up the truck, they tell me..............
  • my new pedal installed last visit had the shims removed and they trimmed the bottom of it to keep it from getting stuck in floor mats. Just seems illogical to me that a "new design" pedal would need to be trimmed.
  • now my stainless steel sport cover will not fit the trimmed accelerator pedal;
  • my Toyota rubber floor mat is going to be retained by them and they will order me new rubber mats; my rubber mat had plenty of clearance below the pedal and it was tied in position.
  • my computer is already programmed for brake override.
They are checking to see if they will reimburse me for the cost of the stainless steel accelerator sport cover (I bought it from them when I bought the truck). But the major issue is that the brake does not override the throttle. I asked the service adviser to test it with me before I left.

Per the service adviser's request, I gave it full throttle, and with the gas pedal still on the floor I jammed hard on the brakes. The truck tried to slow down, but the engine was really pulling hard and the rpm was around 3,000. Then.... the transmission downshifted, and that is when the test ended. It was proof that my brakes do not override the throttle. At this point, the service adviser was baffled. I told him I was taking the truck home and that when Toyota determined.......for sure........what they wanted to do, I would bring it back.

So I have two questions for you.........

(1) Those of you who have had the new pedals installed (instead of going the shimming route): Did they also trim the bottom of the new pedal under the 9OL recall?

(2) Are your computers programmed for brakes to override the throttle (also supposedly part of the 9OL recall)?

Appreciate your comments on this one. I need some expert opinions before I go back to the dealer. They have given me different interpretations of what is needed, and I now have no idea what is "correct".

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thats insane.... I would call toyota tommrow and ask them yourself.. As far as i know they are not sopose to trim the pedal at all hense it is and new rebuilt design for this problem with floor mats and stickyness. When i had mine in they didnt do any reprogramming to my truck at all i also have an 07 .

Here is the number for toyota and they will anwser all your questions. 800-331-4331

·
Registered
588 Posts
They told me about the 90L recall bs when they replaced my pedal. They said it wasn't ready at the time but it will be shortly. This was about a month ago. They said I would need to bring it in again.

·
Registered
431 Posts
ok, so here's the deal, the new pedal's are factory modified, they are molded to be shorter, so that part of the 90L is done, the tibia pad and carpet padding are still modified. on the cts pedals, they are "AOA" modified at the factory. there IS a shim of sorts in the pedal, but you'd need to take it apart to find it let alone see it

·
Registered
92 Posts
Per the service adviser's request, I gave it full throttle, and with the gas pedal still on the floor I jammed hard on the brakes. The truck tried to slow down, but the engine was really pulling hard and the rpm was around 3,000. Then.... the transmission downshifted, and that is when the test ended. It was proof that my brakes do not override the throttle. At this point, the service adviser was baffled. I told him I was taking the truck home and that when Toyota determined.......for sure........what they wanted to do, I would bring it back.

(2) Are your computers programmed for brakes to override the throttle (also supposedly part of the 9OL recall)?
I have not had the recall performed on my truck ....... Just a thought ...... Seems as if I read that the throttle overide will only operate if the vehicle is traveling 25 or 30? MPH. Perhaps when you tested the throttle overide you were not going fast enough to trigger the overide? So far I have done nothing with the recall situation since I am skeptical that the "fix" is not perfected at this point and might not even be necessary. Time will tell. :tu:

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I just had a friend of mine get the recall. They put in the shim and cut his pedal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
have not had the recall performed on my truck ....... Just a thought ...... Seems as if I read that the throttle overide will only operate if the vehicle is traveling 25 or 30? MPH. Perhaps when you tested the throttle overide you were not going fast enough to trigger the overide? So far I have done nothing with the recall situation since I am skeptical that the "fix" is not perfected at this point and might not even be necessary. Time will tell.
I think you are correct. This way you could feather the brake for towing a boat out of the lake or what have you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys...... I'm the one that started this thread, and I would like to pass on some information to you. Today, I called the Toyota # given to me in one of the earlier posts (1-800-331-4331). The lady was very helpful, and answered some of my questions. She also established a Case # for me, and a Case Manager should be in contact with me within two days, advising how to proceed from here.

The important thing to me....which I would like to pass on to you..... is that the computer should be programmed so that the brakes override the throttle. The end result of proper programming is that engine power is cut, and the truck stops quickly. Here is the way to test your truck:
1. The throttle must be greater than 1/3 open
2. Truck speed must be greater than 5 mph
3. The gas pedal must be pushed down first; that is, the gas pedal is pushed before the brake pedal is jammed hard.

Oh yes.... my test with the Service Adviser met the above conditions, so it was valid in proving my computer is not programmed correctly. I'm anxious for the Case Manager to contact me with "what's next" advice.

Also the Case Manager will address my other questions regarding whether the new pedal should be trimmed.

If you guys are taking your truck in for the 90L recall, perhaps you should make the determination ahead of time whether you wish to keep your floor mats....regardless whether they are carpet mats or rubber mats. If you want them... you had better remove them before you take your truck in.

What is puzzling to me is "who has the final word in what needs to be done on these recalls"? I believed what the Service Advisers were telling me at the dealership. I have since found out that his information conflicts with the information provided today. How do I know the person I contacted today is correct? Hmmmmmm. That's why I also wanted confirmation from a Toyota Case Manager on what is actually needed for the 90L recall.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Kick a** am glad to hear this, keep us posted and up to date on what goes on.:tu: Glad the number helped

·
Registered
272 Posts
Let me get this straight. They took the already approved pedal replacement, put the shim-sham on it, and then trimmed the pedal that is already shaped properly? What kind of boneheads is this dealer passing off as repair technicians? Run as far away from this dealer as possible. I would tell Toyota's corporate people you have no confidence in this shop and try to get the work done at another dealership. Your pedal replacement is now damaged and should be replaced with a completely new unit. Otherwise I would trust it no more than the origional.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Let me get this straight. They took the already approved pedal replacement, put the shim-sham on it, and then trimmed the pedal that is already shaped properly? What kind of boneheads is this dealer passing off as repair technicians? Run as far away from this dealer as possible. I would tell Toyota's corporate people you have no confidence in this shop and try to get the work done at another dealership. Your pedal replacement is now damaged and should be replaced with a completely new unit. Otherwise I would trust it no more than the origional.

there's nothing to trim or shim haahaha, how the hell did they manage THAT one, lol, some of my guys are nuts, but thats just funny!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts