Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2006 Tundra DC SR5 in Dec and haven't really needed to use the a/c until the past couple weeks. I have noticed an intermittant, but continous, clicking noise that seems to come from the front panel while the a/c is running. The noise kind of sounds like the click that happens when you initially turn on/off the a/c button - but the darn thing continues and is annoying. The a/c itself seems to work just fine - cold and all. This noise only exists while the a/c is running so it's not like the front pannel is loose or something. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, or if I should take it in to the dealership to get looked at...

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would say while under warranty take to the dealership. I have a 2000 that has a similar click. Over time it has gotten louder, I hear it more when the fan is on the lower settings then the high. It is not really loud enough to hear it, unless you are listening for it. However, like I said mine is over 7 years old and runs almost constantly down here in South Florida. It might be that a fan blade is loose and cavitating, or a peice of plastic hitting the fan blade. Best bet take it to the dealer...

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I also bought my 2006 Tundra DC SR5 in December. I do hear a click when the A/C engages and cold air starts to cycle. It's intermittent and it is normal. Perhaps, that's what you were hearing.

I suggest you take it to the dealer since it's still under warranty.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's just periodically when compressor cycles. Thanks for the replies...I've never had a vehicle do this before (or I've never heard it at least).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yep. Bought my 06DC in August in Texas and it clicked every minute and a half. Took it into the dealership and was incensed when they told me it was normal without even looking at it. The manager was cool and took me to five Tundras on the lot and we started all of them and ran the a/c. Sure enough everyone of them did it too. I think it's a bad design to have a relay cycling that often. According to one tech he said they hadn't had any a/c problems and the panel's easy to remove should it need replaced. Used the a/c all summer and in defrost this winter and it works like a champ. Just one of those peculiar oddities to get used to. If that's all I have I consider it non existant:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem with my 2006 DC. My clicking is every 30-45 seconds. It is very annoying when you are on a smooth road with no radio. I too was told this was normal. This drives me nuts. I even feel a little surge in the vehicle as this clicks on and off.

After the compressor kicks on, I also hear a noise (maybe a fan??) that seems too loud for me to consider normal. But, no luck at the dealer. He said that was normal too. Even if the clicking is normal, I'm still not convinced the fan noise, or whatever that is I hear, is normal!!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Yep it's one of the first things I noticed after buying my truck last fall. It will grow on you and pretty soon you won't even notice it. I do agree though, they should've designed it better.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I believe that's the thermostat. Try turning the temp control all the way up so it stays on all the time. Reduce the fan speed so you don't freeze.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same noise and don't care for it at all. When I get some time, I plan to find it and wrap it with foam to deaden the noise. I don't know why they couldn't have just located it under the hood.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just took mine into the mechanic and they told me it was a bad compressor. This is a reputable after their diagnosis. Should I replace it for $1000? :ts:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bought my 06 Tundra DC in the winter and a few weeks ago tried the A/C and heard the samething. A clicking noise, but from the threads it seems to be normal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
no...its normal, unless your having a different problem that Im not seeing here.
Mine is not from behind the dash it is outside under the hood. And its the compressor coming on every 30 secs, light at first then gets louder. Not the same.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mine is not from behind the dash it is outside under the hood. And its the compressor coming on every 30 secs, light at first then gets louder. Not the same.
Take it to another dealer/mechanic and see what they have to say. If it sounds like a similar problem, then go from there. I have a hard time trusting anyone and have a harder time spending $1000 on something like that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
:cry: Well, I spent the $1K. Now I am broke but at least i have piece of mind. Is the factory compressor a denso? Thats what they put in my truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the same thing. thanks to this thread i'll put it out of my mind. mine does it with the A/C on or off. i find it doesn't happen so much if i set the temp guage to medium. and i also feel a surge of power when it clicks either way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts