Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any why of by-passing the a/c pump on my 2000 AC 4.7? It's making noise and right now I dont have the cash to properly fix it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Check with an auto parts store to see if that year truck / engine configuration came without air conditioning. Get the belt for the non-AC version, and replace your current belt. The compressor will stay in place. You may want to remove the AC fuse, so you don't accidentally activate the clutch on a non rotating compressor. I don't think that will cause a problem, but you may want to do it just in case.

Years ago, I had a Ford Taurus, and the Compressor let go on me while I was travelling. Unfortunately, the configuration I had only came with AC, so I was left sitting at a dealership, out of town while they replaced it. I would imagine that on the Tundra, the AC was an option.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been checking aftermarket and I don't see a bypass pulley out there, Toyota has a pulley and brkt for about $200.00 plus I would need a new belt another $50.00. I can get a reman ac pump for $230.00 so that might be the way I go

·
Registered
727 Posts
I don't think you need a bypass pulley for what I was recommending. Just install a belt for a 4.7 without AC. I just checked Sparks Toyota website, and it looks like there is an option for with AC or w/o AC on the 4.7.

If you replace the compressor, you will need to have the system evacuated, replace the compressor, have the system put on a vacuum, and recharged with refrigerant and oil. Evacuating the system before you remove the compressor will prevent releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere. Putting it on vacuum afterwards will remove the air and moisture that got into the system when you had the compressor out. It is also a good way to see if there are any leaks in the system.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 4.7's that did not have A/C have this pulley and bracket in place of the A/C pump, There is no way to run a belt without some kind of pulley in that location. I do understand about the evac and recharge, I'm sure I can get one of the guys at my dealer (I work at a Toyota dealer) to handle that part of it for me.
I was just hoping someone ran across this and knew of a inexpensive fix, i see Dorman makes a/c bypass pulleys and brackets but not one for the 4.7

·
Registered
30 Posts
Theoretically speaking, you could make a simple bracket and mount an idler pulley in the space between the ac and other components. I think the reason you cannot just use a shorter belt to bypass is because of how the water pump pulley and top idler pulleys are located. You will not get enough wrap on the water pump. But I guess you could just use the same kind of idler pulley as the top one, and get at least 40 percent wrap on the water pump pulley. Anything less, and you might run into an issue with the pulley just slipping partially or totally.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a whining noise that is rpm synced and coming from something in belt drive but is hard to isolate. Am guessing it is a bearing in Alt, Compressor, water pump or tensioner, but wondering if you have any hints on how to isolate. It comes and goes but I want to make it GO!
If you know of a thread please let me know.
Thanks
2006 Tundra Limited 95K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts