Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I actually have a 2000 chevy prizm, but it is identical to a toyota corolla. I need to replace my AC compresser, receiver, and drier. The shop I go to quoted $900 so I thought I'd give it a try.

Is this the basic procedure: Relieve the pressure out of the system, R/R the parts, pull a vacuum on the system and then back fill with R134? What about flushing the system..?.I've heard your supposed to do that, what do you flush it out with and how? Is the lubricating oil in the R134 or do you add it separately? I have the usual tools plus a vacuum pump and recharging kit. Do I need any other special tools?Any comments and or recommendations for repair manuals are appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Sam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In case anyone cares.. I ended up doing the job myself and so far its been blowing ice cold, been about a week now. :cool: A couple mechanics advised me not too flush the system unless the old compressor oil was very dirty...it wasn't so I didn't. I replaced the accumulator, orifice tube and the compressor. After all was said and done it cost me $325 in parts and r134a. The only problem I almost had was stripping the evaporator threads that attach to the accumulator low pressure hose. Luckily I managed to get the hose attached without stripping the threads, but for a while it seemed it wasn't going to happen. It would have been a real pain to have to remove the evaporator. Anyway it was a real learning experience.:D Thanks to Dexterous for the PDF file.

Cheers!:tu:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 Geo Prizm with a dead A/C. I heard somewhere that it's a common problem with these cars. Has anyone else had that problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2000 corolla with the same problem - dealer quoted me over $900 to replace compressor and drier. It's something I'd like to do myself... Looking on ebay there are compressors from $40 to $395 any idea how to pick a relatively affordable one that's reliable?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a new compressor from "CarQuest auto parts" for $185.00, They told me it's new, not a rebuild, but i'm not sure I believe it. There's nothing on the compressor thats says toyota, but so far its still blowing cold air (knock on aluminum) Shop around your local part dealers, the price for me ranged from $185 up to $400. Anyway, i don't think I'd buy one on ebay....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a used compressor for $40 from a junk yard and plan to do the labor myself. If the compressor was shot on my car is it absolutely necessary to replace the drier as well? Also would anyone be willing to send me the pdf for a/c service or do I have to cough up the dough for it?:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey there, i'm thinking about replacing the compressor etc myself as well, would you mind emailing me the pdf and any other info you got that helped you with it?

congrats btw you saved a lotta dough

·
Registered
25 Posts
This looks like a great DIY write up for someone willing to take the time out to take pictures and document their journey and I for one would be grateful. My 03' corolla and 02' tundra are still blowing cold air but as we all know that could change with the turn of a key.

·
Registered
1 Posts
does anyone have a good writeup on this? I have a 01 chevy prizm that has a bad compressor, and would like more info on replacing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2000 corolla with the same problem - dealer quoted me over $900 to replace compressor and drier. It's something I'd like to do myself... Looking on ebay there are compressors from $40 to $395 any idea how to pick a relatively affordable one that's reliable?
Before purchasing the air conditioning compressor , consult with your local ac repair technicians , they will suggest you the one which will best suit your air conditioning unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Before purchasing the air conditioning compressor , consult with your local ac repair technicians , they will suggest you the one which will best suit your air conditioning unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts