Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I have a 2010 Tundra with the manual a/c and heater controls. It has been oppressively hot in the Southern US the last several days (95 degrees plus 80% humidity) and I have a question/concern about the a/c on my truck. Let me first say that I always run the system in recirculate mode and have the dial set to "max a/c".

What I have noticed over the past few days is that the air coming from the vents will momentarily get noticeably "less cool" and humid and then back to ice cold. The air doesn't get warm by any means, but you can tell it is not as cold as it normally is. This is all in-town driving by the way, not on the highway. Does this sound normal? Anyone else experiencing the same thing in this heat? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Been over 100 degrees and horrible humidity up here too. I have actually been impressed with my Tundra's ability to keep cool. If you are sitting in traffic or gunning your engine, it'll cause the AC to lag behind for a minute.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been over 100 degrees and horrible humidity up here too. I have actually been impressed with my Tundra's ability to keep cool. If you are sitting in traffic or gunning your engine, it'll cause the AC to lag behind for a minute.
Thanks for responding. I have noticed it in "city" driving conditions (less than 50 MPH, frequent stop lights, a lot of idling, etc). I've only noticed it since the humidity has been near 100%.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
That system has sensors all over the place and also talks to the engine ECU. My guess would be that the engine is telling it to turn off the compressor for some reason.
air-conditioning.pdf

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
If you think that's bad, you should drive a Crown Vic (Police) when it's hot... Every time you stomp on it in this heat, you get warm (not just less cool like you mentioned, but warm) air blowing until you bring the revs down. Part of it is all the electronics that tax the car's systems, but it's terrible. My Tundra is a "breath of cold air" so to speak, compared with our patrol cars... I don't think it's anything for you to worry about.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts