Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought all my gauges and vacuum pump from ACKITS.com ( a plug) nad after a bunch reading, I swapped out my compressor, and dryer. I had to ask a couple of questions on their forum during the swap, but all went well. My compressor was still working off and on, so when I pulled it I checked to see if it had any junk in the compressor oil and it didn't. I didn't not flush the system, because of the lack of stuff in the oil.

I pulled a 30 minute vacuum, and after closing all the valves the vacuum would be lost. A leak somewhere. Hmmmm. didn't leak before, and I replaced the hose o-rings at the compressor. Must be the dryer.

Took the dryer apart put th old o-rings back on and pulled a vacuum for five minutes, shut off valves, nad ten minutes later, the needle didn't move.

The o-rings that came with the dryer were smaller, and I didn't notice it when I installed them. Pulled another 30 minute vacuum, let sit for five minutes, all good.

2 cans of r134, and my baby has air.

Ok, yes it took me 6 hours, but I got some new tools ,and learned a whole lot in the process.

Now when I convert my 89 toyota pickup to r134, the savings alone will pay for the tools I bought.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Sounds like a good resource. I'm completely clueless on AC stuff. I'll have to bookmark that one.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They respond pretty quick on the forums over there, and good prices on parts. I could have gotten the gauges and vacuum pump and the other stuff cheaper else where, but I wanted to support there forum/business. Saved big bucks doing this job myself w/their help.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Don't be so shy about using that vacuum pump. The longer the better, you are trying to dry all the moisture out of the system.
On a customers car I might not have had time for a 2 hour pull but on my own I do.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 hours. I thought thirty minutes was along time. Is the extra time for a system that has been empty a while?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The best way to determine how long you should pull a vacuum is to use a micron gauge. It may take 30 minutes or it may take longer but the standard is to try to get down to 500 microns.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It depends on temp. , humidity and how good a vacuum your pump pulls. Water evaporates at a lower and lower temp. as
the vacuum drops. Also any water emulsified in the oil can take a little longer to evaporate. Longer never hurts. Before I had
money and we used old refrigerator pumps I would leave them on all night.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did read something about the micron gauge and people running nitrogen through the system to get excess water out. Might have to buy one, but have to rebuild the Tundras rear axle first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts