Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Tundra back after more than two weeks in the shop to repair a Maza dent. I had an '09 Chevy Silverado 4.8L 4x4 equivalent to a grade crewmax for a rental.

Here's some observations:

Gas mileage: 13.7 for the Chevy 4.8L compared to 17.1 for my 5.7 Tundra. Surprisingly bad!
Ride: The ride is a lot rougher than the Tundra.
Handling: The Chevy handles terrible! It feels top heavy and does not like to turn corners.
Turning radius: The Chevy is worse than the Tundra.
Steering: Much heavier than the Tundra. Almost like it had no power steering.
Seating: The Chevy seating is really uncomfortable. It is like sitting on rocks!!
Interior: Really cheap hard plastic and the seats look like they were made of the 50's.
Dash: I do like the Chevy dash a bit better. The gauges don't look like they are at the bottom of a soup can and they aren't orange.
Power: Not much and only a 4 speed transmission too. OK for city traffic but weak for anything else.

BUT according to the critics the Chevy is supposed to be a "real truck" so here's that comparison:

Ride = 1981 Freightliner cabover
Handling = 2005 Waste Management garbage truck
Turning = 1949 Ford stake body
Steering = 1990 Ford F350
Interior = 1953 International pickup
Economy = 1983 Dodge power wagon
Performance = 1977 Mack dump truck

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hard to believe the 4.8 got that bad mileage, my Tundra averages around 13mpg.

·
Registered
456 Posts
All the stolen tax money in the world can't make a good truck I guess... :D

Glad you got your Tundra back!

·
Registered
394 Posts
All the stolen tax money in the world can't make a good truck I guess... :D

Glad you got your Tundra back!
Thanks. I just spit beer all over my laptop! :amen:

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Steering: Much heavier than the Tundra. Almost like it had no power steering.
That's funny, cause most of the magazine reviews slam the Tundra for it's smooth steering, and they say it "takes the feel out of driving" or some crap like that. (nothing like picking something arbitrary just for a reason to b!tch) I think our steering is fantastic, and I don't think I'd want it any heavier.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
I do a lot of highway driving, get between 15 and 16 in the winter and 17-18 MPG in the summer.

I had a recent similar experience, while my Tundra was being investigated for an electrical problem I had a 2009 F150 as a loaner. I was never happier than when I could give that thing back and get my Tundra.
The list of things that would have prevented me from buying the Ford was long, but lack of power, steering that was overly heavy at low speed and ridiculously light at highway speed, causing wandering around the lane, was one. The ride was jittery and ponderous, if that is possible. The interior felt like the inside of a kleenex box. The engine had NO power to speak of. There were more rattles and jiggles going over on bumps than you should expect in a one year old truck. Especially since mine is two years older than that, has double the mileage, and is completely quiet over bumps! I could go on, but suffice it to say the decision to buy the Tundra seems to have been a good one. (They found the electrical problem, and the truck has been running great again the last 2 months!)

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I get wonderful mileage in my Tundra. 17-19 is where I normally sit. If there is no wind and I keep it at 70, I can do 20MPG in the summer.

381 HP, no cylinder deactivation BS, no 3.03 rear end that is worthless, and the room of my crewmax still has me convinced this is the best 1/2 TRUCK on the market today. GM's cab is too small, Ford's 5.4 motor is too slow, and Dodge's quality has me questioning them.

However, Toyota needs to fix this air induction pump issue as I'm quickly losing faith in my vehicle.

·
Registered
754 Posts
That's funny, cause most of the magazine reviews slam the Tundra for it's smooth steering, and they say it "takes the feel out of driving" or some crap like that. (nothing like picking something arbitrary just for a reason to b!tch) I think our steering is fantastic, and I don't think I'd want it any heavier.
sounds like something petersen 4 wheeling mag would say.....they would give the chevy the edge, but what brought the the top was something like, "oh its a 20 plus year old tradition to have chevy trucks the best" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'll say that I wish there was more feedback to our steering (I guess that would be termed 'heavier' steering by some). I guess I spent too much time driving a small sports car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love my orange dashboard as much as anything. The orange is much easier on the eyes when night driving.

I loved the chevy seats and it fit my long legs and tall body very well. The tundra is also very comfy for me. The seller for my was the much more roomy back seat in the crewmax. I needed a truck bed, but not a big one. It generally just felt more tight.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I just got my Tundra back after more than two weeks in the shop to repair a Maza dent. ....
Two weeks for a dent? Musta been one he!! of a dent. :eek:

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
It was more of a squish than dent.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I like the steering in the Tundra. It makes life easier when backing down the boat ramp in 4WD.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
As owner of General Motors we should all hope they do a better job in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts