Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 ac stepside trd and have noticed that its kind of ugly in the back. I'm going to undergo surgery, as it were, on this truck and make it look better. Starting with the rear tail lights. I took the TRD stickers off because i think those are ugly as hell too, so now it looks nice and clean. I really don't like red and gray together, so I'll try to eliminate as much red as possible without it looking like a catastrophy. Below are a couple pictures I took of the truck, and photoshopped to replicate what I want done to the outside plastic of the tail lights. I'll get it professionally done so I dont mess it up....So this is step one.

in before "there is no cure lololol" keep it to yourselves.

not so clean looking but thats becase i'm in a rush and just busted that shop out real quick.

·
Registered
50 Posts
are you gonna do anything to the metal or just cosmetic stuff? tailights will look different,kinda cool.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i wish the back was a bit less flowing on the stepsides. the only stepside i like is the 04 and up f150s mainly cause they use very straight lines. i love the first gen tundras but the stepsides are miserable IMO. i think the top contour of the rear lights should extend all the way to the tailgate then the lights drop straight down. itd look pretty retro with the protruding tail lights but anything is better than it is now

no offense :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
i never liked the look of the step side, i dont know what they were thinking, no offence to anyone who likes it.. just imo

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, exactly, its your humble opinion, and I posted this thread with that in mind...Just was looking for input and or ideas.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think they're sexy. So much more going on as opposed to a box on wheels. They messed up on the tail gate and lights, but the side curvature is gnarly

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Anyone that doesn't like the stepside is entitled to their opinion, they are just wrong.lol

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
If I had a stepside and was going to do that to the taillights, I would color match them rather than just painting them black. That's just my $.02. Whatever you decide to do, it will be unique.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a good point and I figured that it would be hard to get an exact match, but maybe I'm wrong. Thank you guys for the input. this will be an ongoing project so stay tuned.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think they're sexy. So much more going on as opposed to a box on wheels. They messed up on the tail gate and lights, but the side curvature is gnarly
Agree. They are really beautiful from the side, but damn, they are ugly from the rear. Much like my first wife.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I think the step-side looks very elegant compared to other makes. It's true though...either people really like it or really don't. I do like your idea with the light trim, and think it will help. The tail-lights kind of have a Sequoia look to them, and it does look more sophisticated without the TRD stickers.

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
Im lovin it! I've been wanting to do something like this for a couple years now. I was going to tint the whole light at first, but I really like what you have done on photoshop. I hope you don't mind if I copy your design!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the stepside was really a fail for toyota...looked like it came from two different trucks...the rear never looks right from any angle. the best thing u can do to help it is trade for a regular bed.

im just glad they got their act together while they were still toying with the idea of a fullsize truck and quit the step side thing before they got to the real fullsize truck in the gen2. :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If I had a stepside and was going to do that to the taillights, I would color match them rather than just painting them black. That's just my $.02. Whatever you decide to do, it will be unique.
I agree on the color matching. This is my buddy's dodge that we played around with the taillights and paint.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
the stepside was really a fail for toyota...looked like it came from two different trucks..

and a car too. Those taillights look like the ones on my Moms '06 Solara. :rolleyes:

I think the painted tail light idea will look really nice color matched. I like flareside / stepside trucks (like the lightning). Too bad Toyota messed it up w/ the tails and the bed panels. They shouldve continued the flare up to the bedrails then have vertical squared off tails.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts