Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to go a little faster and a s/c or a t/c are out of the question. ($$$)thinking about buying a nitrous kit, however...

1. how many miles is too many miles to put on a nitrous kit.(curently 105,000 mi.)
2. what tests do i have to do to make sure my engine can handle it (only gonna do a 50 shot max)
3. what performance increase can i expect (Noz NOOB)
4. and what kits work best (brands)

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Naturally an engine should be in good condition before a nitrous installation, but mileage is really an indirect measurement of said condition. A leakdown / compression test would be better.

A 50 horse shot should be no problem for the 4.7. All you should need to do is remove any timing advance devices so that stock timing is used, and perhaps use premium fuel just as a measure of safety to prevent detonation. Your stock fuel system should be adequate for the extra enrichment fuel the kit will flow, but you can easily verify this by watching fuel pressure during some very brief WOT tests with the enrichment fuel flowing but no nitrous. Small block V8 guys run more boost than this before the colder plugs / timing retard / forged pistons / plasma moly rings get used, so you should be fine.

One thing to watch for is inaccurate jetting specs recommended by the kits. The original blue bottle brand (NOS) was notorious for this, but I always did my own jetting. Start with too much gas for a given amount of nitrous and then cut back the gas jets until the too rich sputtering clears up. Ideally you should be able to find a kit with good jetting recommendations and just plug and play. I haven't run nitrous on my Tundra but I know people here have, so you could probably track them down and ask them.

Quarter mile performance increases are typically a tenth per 10 hp boost, so you should see half a second improvement at the track at least. I would guess even more in the Tundra because of the soft low end torque and slower launch they tend to have. Nitrous builds low end torque, not top end power so much, so it should supplement the soft launch nicely, assuming traction is not an issue. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts