Toyota Tundra Forums banner

a few questions

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  WhiteLiteNin 
#1 ·
When I get back from Germany in a few months im gonna take a trip from Palm springs CA to Washington state, my grandma has always wanted to go back and visit were she grew up, Ill be driving my 01 v8 tundra which has alittle of 220000 miles on the body and trans, has a newer motor. The tranny fluid was changed about 50000 miles ago and the motor oil was changed about 500 miles ago and I used rottela t6, 5w40 I think, and a k@n oil filter, and the truck has new michelin ltx ms2 tires on it. My main question is, Am I on borrowed time with a trans with 220 on it? Should i just change the oil and go for it? Its close to or alittle over 3000 miles round trip I think, any sugestions or input will be greatly apreciated.

#2 ·
We are always on borrowed time with trannys. Some explode at 50,000 and some never get serviced and last forever. It's strange but every truck truely is different. If your not having any issues with it i'd run it til she drops. Nice of you to take a road trip with your Grandmother. Mine have all passed but I remember them fondly. I hope you have an awesome trip.

#3 ·
thanks mytundrarocks, she is almost 80 now but is in still good enough health to take a trip like this, idk about a few years from now though, should be pretty awesome, she was gonna come visit me over here but i said she should save her money and ill come back and take her on a trip to washington state, she has been saying she wanted to take a trip up there since i was like 12 hahaha, she mentioned renting a rental car, i think that would kinda expensive and dont want to be limited by the date or time i have to bring the car back, just want to take my time and site see. But the transmision does worry me, ive driven it from havasu to riverside more times then i could remeber, and never thought anything of it, but taking it on a trip like that has got me wondering really how much longer i have on it, i guess thats why i got AAA hahaha

#4 ·
I would consider the rental. What if something goes wrong with the truck on the trip. Your repair options may be limited and it may cost you dearly. AAA may be good for the tow, but what if the nearest dealer is miles away, or you are standed halfway through the trip. Just get a car with unlimited mileage from a national rental agency and have peace of mind.

#6 ·
If you are headed to Riverside, it's been in the mid to high 80's all week. Not the kind of heat to break down in for sure, especially if you throw Grandma in the mix. It will be getting hotter real soon, in the next two weeks. Although you may have no troubles using your truck, just because it's going to be you and Grandma, I'd rent a car. That's a long drive, and anything could happen. If it were just you, I'd say make an adventure of it, but it isn't cool to put any grandma's through the trouble. If you get something with a 4cylinder motor, you will likely make up for the cost of the rental in gas alone. It was $3.10 per gallon, 87 octane yesterday out here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.