Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contact me about my leaky and mis-alligned ARE MX Topper prior to buying from this manufacturer. The MX on my tundra leaks and is misalligned [a manufacturing defect]. I have contacted ARE and they will not stand behind their product. The lifetime warranty is worthless. They sent my unit back to Ohio for about a month. It came back supposedly new with a new serial number. However, the same windoors and rear door were on the new unit - the keys were the same and the dealer said they used the same parts. Why would you use the same parts from a unit on which the windoors were mis-alligned???? The new unit has the same problems and now they want it to be shipped back to Ohio. I want a full refund which in so many words is being denied.
I plan to contact the locat TV consumer reported to try and get this on local TV for others to beware.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
That is a shame. I've heard many problems with LEER but not ARE. Where is yours leaking from?

I could see why they would reuse the windows and doors if the problem was in the fiberglass.
Is it possible your bed is tweaked?

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
I have had an ARE MX cap on my Tundra since the fall of 2007 with absolutely no problems. I had another MX before that which survived two Dodges and 10 years of use. I would be much more inclined to believe it is a dealer issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was planning on buying a topper/ capper for my 2006 CC Tundra. My last topper was a Leer and I had the truck and topper for 13years with no problems. I was planning on buying a Leer again but any advice would be most welcome.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the ARE MX, that really sucks.

For what its worth, I had an ARE Z series on my 2000 Tundra for about 7 years and it was outstanding - paint color match, durability, etc.

Just ordered a SnugTop SuperSport but when I went to pick it up there were two obvious quality problems, and they've since shipped the camper back for repair. I've had a few unsatisfactory discussions with SnugTop thus far, but for now I'll keep my cool and button my lip in hopes that they can make it right for me.

Anyhow my point is that it seems like the big boys of camper manufacturing could do a little more both on the quality front and on the customer service front...

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have owned at least five different covers and caps by ARE with no problems. I would not by another brand because of there quality. Looks like you got the bad one out of the bunch. Sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I also bought an A.R.E. MX topper for my 05 Tundra a year and a half ago and am not really impressed with the quality either. The fit an finish could be better and mine leaks from the windows too. There were some screws missing from window frames, interior lights installed crooked. I bought this brand because I kept reading about people saying how good quality A.R.E. caps are and although it is a nice cap, the quality/control leaves a little to be desired. Don't they water test these things before they leave the factory?:mad: I had a Fibrobec cap on my old truck and IMO it was way better quality than the A.R.E.:(

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've had an A.R.E. CX since '07. Never had an issue. It's as good as any other cap I've owned.

I can say that the proficiency of the installer can make a huge difference either way though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a leer on mine, it is the third one they sent,,, first 2 were shiit,,, windows were bowed from fiberglass being cut wrong, window frames put in wrong, and both had paint scratches, big scratches, also the sides had been trimmed crooked along the bottom edge with too much material removed,,, front bottom and rear bottom corners were also trimed wrong and differents from left to right. 3rd one had OK windows, 2 small scratches and the sides on the bottom looked like they had been trimmed by a drunk ape when they came out of the mold,,,, but they had extra material not to little,,, I took it,,, trimmed the bottoms till strieght and true and can live with it now,,,, will never get another Leer product or anything from the same dealor,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
112 Posts
PPosey that is really rough. But, on the other hand, at least they were willing to take back the first two defective ones and get you another new one, although it sounds like it was no bueno either.

My situation thus far with Snug is that they want to repair the one they tried to pass off on me. I'm fine with that if it comes back perfect, but some people would (attempt to) demand another brand new one.

Crazy how a camper shell costs nearly 10% the purchase price of the vehicle but don't ensure top-notch quality before trying to pass off to the customer...

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles with ARE. I had an ARE MX on my Ford for 11 years without issue. I have one on my Tundra now and love it. Sounds like your dealer may not be doing enough for you......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts