Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New here, and New Tundra owner, (new to me) over working on trucks all the time so decided to go Toyota

Recently, (1 month) purchased a nice used 164,000 mile 2010 and have been driving it very respectfully With zero issues. This Morning I must have inadvertently, shifted into S4 pulling out of a parking lot driving reasonably slow for about a block till I turned on to a main street as I accelerated gently I noticed the rpm's climbing higher than normal I eased up and looked at my gauges everything looked normal except the blank box that I had been wondering what was since I have owned the truck, was lit up "4", as I contemplated the meaning of "4" it hit me and I looked down to find the shifter in the S position( I have not used the manual side of the shifter as I wanted to wait until I learned more about my used trucks nuances and thoroughly researched and understood the use and risk if any) I Immediately pushed it right and looked back up to continue along when all of the sudden she died, I was unsure at first cuz the truck runs so smooth I can hardly tell its on, I looked at the gauges... A\T temp light on! everything else normal (middle ranges where they have always been) zero RPM steering firmer... yup I'm dead and coasted to a comfy shoulder in dis-belief and put her in park and shut off.

Turned key to on position to check gauges A\T temp light on every thing else normal. popped the hood to check around, nothing obvious, but radiator did feel a little warmer than I thought it should but no where near over heating, could hold my hand on it as long as I wanted, Thought I'd give her a try and nothing at first didn't even flinch so I thought the tranny must have over heated and its not going to start till its cooled, so I waited about 15 to 20 min. and tried again, fired right up! Eureka!.... wait idling a little rough... getting worse... missing... shut 'er off. called a tow not wanting to take any chances. At that point I'm thinking feels like a head gasket... while waiting checked coolant level, worried about pink milk shake, or chocolate milk! Coolant was tippy top. oil great, learned I can't check trans. looked under and she wasn't bleeding her guts out.

Got her dropped at home pulled code and nothing...? Decided to try starting again and she fires missing and lumping badly... enough to barely keep turning, the motor feels like it is running on only two cylinders, let the key off and starter stays engaged and keeps trying to crank even though the engine is lumping along barely on its own... so I'm thinking the starter solenoid is controlled by the computer and it hasn't hit high enough rpm to dis-engage or what? I don't know, but I do know that this truck is a little more advanced than all the other OBDII stuff I have worked on, so I'm at a loss...

Taking her in to the dealer tomorrow, which I do trust more than any other that I've had experience with before, but am still once bitten twice as shy and would like to have a thorough understanding of what I could be looking at. any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated please!

( sorry for the book, hope I'm posting in the right spot )

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I cant help you with your issue but I can say that just because you had it in that manual shift mode and maybe it revved a bit higher, would by no means cause what happened to your truck.
You should be able take off from a dead stop, put your your foot right to the rug, and run it through all the gears. It was built to handle that kind of beating and should be able to take that all day long.
Dont worry about what you did, just post back how you make out and what the cause was.
The shittiest part of every forum out there is dead end threads where people post a problem, but never come back to say what the cause was our how they fixed it.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,625 Posts
Hi All,

Recently, (1 month) purchased a nice used 164,000 mile 2010 and have been driving it very respectfully With zero issues.
Was the seller a private individual or a dealer?
What kind of service records do you have for it?

I agree with cheapskate, just because you had it in manual shift mode and maybe it revved a bit higher, would by no means cause what happened to your truck... the computer rev limiter would have kicked in and saved you, ask me how I know ;-)

Let us know what the dealership scan reveals.
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was the seller a private individual or a dealer?
What kind of service records do you have for it?

I agree with cheapskate, just because you had it in manual shift mode and maybe it revved a bit higher, would by no means cause what happened to your truck... the computer rev limiter would have kicked in and saved you, ask me how I know ;-)

Let us know what the dealership scan reveals.
Good luck
Small private used car dealer! B.S. warranty That I felt was a sucker bet... so... Carfax shows not much certified Toyota beyond original warranty save for Timing belt replacements when due, after that just oil changes at a Honda dealership. I have to look again but its in the truck at the moment, I'm thinking it may be multiple small things, ignition switch wore, AT temp sensor and who knows... hopefully I'll find out soon, but I think they may be scratching their heads a little or a lot also...

Defiantly will be posting results!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts