Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker and first time poster! I wanna thank you all for the wealth of information on this board. I learned so much about the truck before taking the plunge. I lusted over the 2nd Gen. Tundra since its introduction back in 2007. And after finding out Toyota may come out with a diesel in 2010, I decide to wait it out. I was very very disappointed when I found out they have shelved the Tundra Diesel. :cry3d:

So I finally gave in and settled for a used one. I searched high and low and finally found a great condition 60K miles 08 Tundra double cab limited 5.7 V8 4x4. It has all options except the memory package.

Here is a few things I have observed after driving it about 1500 miles.

The redesigned gas pedal is a lot better and easier to modulate versus the shimmed stock pedal. (Thanks TS!) :ts:

The bed bounce is indeed very annoying if it happens. Hopefully Toyota can come up with a solution. Like a tuned mass damper.

Over the weekend, I manage 18mpg driving from San Jose to Bakersfield doing about 75mph. Driving around here in Los Angeles I manage to get 15.5mpg average. I'm very happy with the mileage.

This thing hauls! One of the biggest and fastest things I have ever driven. The engine loafs effortlessly during cruising but with a slight nudge of the right foot can summon all the torques for a quick getaway.

The Tundra does rides like a truck. The springs and leafs are on the firm side but it is no where near uncomfortable. The firmness of the suspension was appreciated specially after hauling about 1000lbs payload over 152W to Gilroy. The Tundra tackled the high speed turns with ease and suspension is well damped. My Land Cruiser with similar load will sway, bottoms out and just feels floaty in this part of the highway.

The TRD exhaust drowns a little bit when cruising but I think I can live with it for now. The driver side exhaust tip also touches the rear lower quarter panel in some situations.

The 4x4 system works OK but I wish it has a center diff lock switch. Sometimes I want to be in 4x4 mode but want to leave the center diff unlocked for better maneuverability.

I might remove the front spacer (leveling kit) that the previous owner has installed. I prefer a slight rake in the trucks stance.

Overall I'm very happy with my Tundra and I hope it will serve me as good as my other Toyotas for years to come!!

Here she is!!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Nice write up man and congrats! Welcome to the site. It's good to see someones first post be positive and not some gripe or dumb question!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
the truck still looks brand spankin new for havin 60k on it

·
Registered
819 Posts
Welcome to your new family! Let the modding begin.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Great 1st post - and nice lookin truck. Let the mods begin!

·
Registered
75 Posts
The bed bounce is from the frame being weak. The tundra has a 'C' frame instead of a box frame. There are ways to limit the bouncing. congrats on the truck looks brand new!

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
The bed bounce is from the frame being weak. The tundra has a 'C' frame instead of a box frame. There are ways to limit the bouncing. congrats on the truck looks brand new!
:confuseda:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Congratulations!! Great write-up!! Yeah, I don't have the bed bounce and I've got Bilstein 5100s and "E" rated tires and truck still drives real smooth... just rougher when temperatures get above 80F or so. Let the mods begin!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very nice lookin' rig! Silver looks great on these trucks.:tu:

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Congratulations on your truck. :tu:

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts

:crazya: :doh: :facepalm: :nono: :pound:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Congrats on the purchase... good write up.

Hey- don't lower the front. Just raise the back to get the rake!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts