Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the past year I've been noticing that surface rust is starting to pop up all on my frame as well as the leaf springs, rear axle, xfer case, hitch, well basically steel and painted black. The truck is a 2008 and I only have 14K miles on it so I'm not overly thrilled about this. Haven't had a chance to look at other Tundras in parking lots so just wanted to run this by you guys. Here are some pictures -

Attachments

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
My truck's spent a total of 4 winter months on salted roads and it looks pretty bad, but not that bad obviously.

I just had a rear bumper replaced. I would guess that they will repaint it all? I'm not sure.

It's quite disheartening to have a brand new truck look like a 10 year old truck underneath. Our '98 expedition didn't look that bad when we traded it in.

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Looks like mine did after 3 years. I washed it almost every weekend and kept it outside as garaging a vehicle can cause more problems with rust.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
There is a product called Fluid Film that was actually recommended by a member here. I bought some as brand new my truck had some rust on the frame, diff, and rear bumper. It seems to work very well and is not damaging to paint and absorbs into the rust stopping it. It doesn't just wash off either, so far seems to be good stuff.
Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
So over the past year I've been noticing that surface rust is starting to pop up all on my frame as well as the leaf springs, rear axle, xfer case, hitch, well basically steel and painted black. The truck is a 2008 and I only have 14K miles on it so I'm not overly thrilled about this. Haven't had a chance to look at other Tundras in parking lots so just wanted to run this by you guys. Here are some pictures -
Hmmm...to be honest it does seem like you have a lot of rust for having so little miles on your truck. I've got 47K on my truck, its been through 3 winters (bought in 07) and my truck doesn't look as bad as yours. I've actually been impressed with how miles looked, there is some rust on the leaf springs and around the pin hole on the hitch receiver but i cant complain, i was just under my truck today blasting mud off the undercarriage. Only thing i'm not happy with is the rear bumper.

I live in Northern IL so rest assured i get a crap load of salt on the roads, my 2000 Ram 1500 only lasted four years here before it rusted out.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
My 01 looks the same. And i'm gonna get new frame due to some hole elsewhere but 07 to look like that and not even from the north is crazy. Deal with it now before you have holes in there.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My 06 Tacoma is rusting and I've undercoated it 4 times! I've been looking at all trucks 2-3 yrs old and rust seems to vary a lot. Tundras in my area (eastern Canada) look pretty good and about the same as other full size trucks.

Maybe Toyota Canada has asked for something different on the trucks to Canada in the last couple of years who knows, or maybe toyota is doing something different on trucks going to certain areas where salt is used and winter temperature linger around the freezing point which is perfect for rusting.

I think all manufactures have had complaints with trucks rusting which doesn't seem to be a problem with cars that use unibody construction.

This guy claims GM has revised their warranty about rusting and is suing them for rusty frame on a 2006.

GM Undercarriage Corrosion - GM Inside News Forum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts