Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to give my truck a much needed detailing and I was wondering.....if I am planning on using a compound with my Porter Cable, do I still need to hit it with the clay beforehand? Doesn't the compound pretty much accomplish the same thing?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
It probably does, but there could be deeper embedded contaminates that compound will not remove.

It only takes 10min, just go ahead and compound. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Clay, Yes, Compound, NO. I was in the Detailing business for decades and my father still owns a lartge detail shop. Claying removes surface contaminates which makes for a better surface. only compound if you need it, Dullness in the paint or scratches. Use a good quality cleaner wax or a Polish then a sealant to do your paint.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Compounding, when needed is fine. It is not something to shy away from if it is needed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a natural white Tundra which, from what I have read, does not have a clear coat. My paint is in fairly good shape but it is starting to look a little dull and chalky in certain light conditions. Also, I have some set in hard water spots (FL water sucks).

Given that my paint does not have a clear coat, should I be concerned about using clay, compound and polish and removing too much paint?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Your truck is painted with Imron iirc. It is hard as a rock and you should have no worries using any modern car clay/compound/polish or anything else on the truck.

Even if you were to take a rotary buffer and the heaviest cut compound/buffing pad, you could still compound a car 4-5 times over its life and leave healthy paint. What you will be using will not even come close to the cut of a heavy compound, so you will be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts