Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i just want to know something. When you guys purchased the 5.7L with tow package, did you guys get anything? because all i got was a wire harness. Was I supposed to get anything else other than the wire harness? thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you mean the female end coming from a trailer I did not get a plug harness neither, but it's already on my trailer...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Nope. You got everything you need. The tow package doesnt include a hitch insert, you'll need to supply your own. And the harness is actually for your brake controler. Down by the brake pedal you'll need to remove the kick panel to your left and there you'll see an empty plug taped up to a large bundle of wires. That harness goes to that plug to then then to your brake controler.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You also get the tow hitch itself, with a rubber Toyota filler that goes in the hitch opening. You do not get a hitch.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I disagree, all the trucks in Texas, coming with the tow package, will have the male part of the receiver, this is part of the tow package. if you get the 5.7 here in Texas, you have the tow package. as stated some where, if you buy the tow package, you should be able to drive off the lot with a trailer, if not you are being cheated, my male hitch was laying on the front floor, in a brown box when mines came off the transport. note; my fj cruiser came with one?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
In Canada, the tow package is on all Tundras. You can't get one without it. And it comes with everything except a ball. Tongue is included in a brown box.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I got mine with a reciver and a 2 5/16th ball on it. didn't even asked for one it was put on the reciver and in the hitch when I picked her up. I didn't get a rubber thing though I'm going back to get it now I know one should of came with it. I kept the one off of my 06 I like to take something from all my trucks:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
In Calif. I did not get a brown box, but did get the female receiver, and the rubber plug for the receiver, as part of the tow package, no extra cost for tow package as part of the 4x4, 5.7l, double cab, sr5 deal. No ball hitch. Does have both types of wire connections (7 and 4 pin).

·
Registered
85 Posts
In Calif. I did not get a brown box, but did get the female receiver, and the rubber plug for the receiver, as part of the tow package, no extra cost for tow package as part of the 4x4, 5.7l, double cab, sr5 deal. No ball hitch. Does have both types of wire connections (7 and 4 pin).
I will be talking to the truck manager for my dealership here in California and will ask him about some states getting the hitch and ball and some not. I doubt the California dealerships received them with their deliveries, removed them to keep for themselves and have a stack of brown boxes somewhere, but I'll ask.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, different replies. im in the state of nevada and every dealership are closed on sundays. ill have to wait till tomorrow to give fletcher jones toyota a call and ask them about my "brown box". can anyone tell me what the contents of the brown box are? thanks

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
South East Toyota only gives us Tundra buyers the wiring harness and the small rubber plug that says Toyota on it. But the one that has me baffled is my neighbor bought a new Tacoma a few weeks ago and his had the brown box with an insert and a 2" ball. Same box for my other neighbor that bought a Nissan Frontier 3 weeks ago.

You would think that a Tunrda in excess of $30k, they could be nice and throw in a $25 hitch, but they toss one in on a Tacoma.....go figure that one.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
South East Toyota only gives us Tundra buyers the wiring harness and the small rubber plug that says Toyota on it. But the one that has me baffled is my neighbor bought a new Tacoma a few weeks ago and his had the brown box with an insert and a 2" ball. Same box for my other neighbor that bought a Nissan Frontier 3 weeks ago.

You would think that a Tunrda in excess of $30k, they could be nice and throw in a $25 hitch, but they toss one in on a Tacoma.....go figure that one.
The 4-runners also get the brown box. I got 2 with my 4-runner.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I disagree, all the trucks in Texas, coming with the tow package, will have the male part of the receiver, this is part of the tow package. if you get the 5.7 here in Texas, you have the tow package. as stated some where, if you buy the tow package, you should be able to drive off the lot with a trailer, if not you are being cheated, my male hitch was laying on the front floor, in a brown box when mines came off the transport. note; my fj cruiser came with one?
All 5.7's come with the Tow package, but this does not include the ball mount. If you look at you sticker you will notice that in Gulf States they charged you $69 for that ball mount, and the ones I have seen, don't even include the ball. Mine did not come with the ball mount, but I had one already. Would have just as easily picked one up for $25 with a ball vs paying $69 for the "Toyota(GST)" one.
The Tow package includes the hitch receiver, the wiring, a trany temp gauge, and improved transmission cooling, 4.3 rear diff, and maybe one or two other things, but now ball mount.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think the biggest advantage for guys like me that have the tow package but no big boat or trailer is the beefed up electricla and coolling systems. The stouter leaf springs do get a bit boncy on some frewway sections. Hopefully this will fade some once the suspension breaks in.

I have a 4x2 SR5 5.7L and am wondering about traction in the snow. Does anyone have any thoughts on adding weight (i.e. sandbags, fixed weights, etc.) I live in San Diego and only need the traction when I go to the hills durings winter storms. I am planning on getting cable chains for the rear wheels.

·
Registered
877 Posts
listen guys, if you go out and buy a trailer hitch from any retailer, it will come with the male receiver, excluding the ball

1 - 20 of 25 Posts