Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1997 Camry LE V6 115K car's rear struts replaced at Pepboys, since then the ABS light turn on. Pepboys are not helpful and told me to check it by dealer.

Then I have rotated the tires just too see it could turn off ABS light, no luck.

How to fix it? where to start to check the sensors or sensor cables as the back seat was removed and may not be installed properly by Pepboys technician?

Thank you for your help.

RD

·
Registered
9 Posts
They have damaged the rear ABS sensor(s), about $150. each sensor. This is a common problem when non Toyota techs do Strut or Coil replacements. Labor is 90.00 on each sensor.

Buy a haynes manual and chapt 9 will show you how to determine which sensor needs to be replaced. You might be able to reset the Abs sensor.
Believe me the 16.00 Haynes manual is worth every penny.

But it will be tough. My Lexus dealer tried to reset the module for 3 days till they decided to replace the rear ABS sensor passenger rear.

It is not a beginner DIY project. You will have to remove the Rear Seats to access the ABS wiring in the rears...as well as reseting the ABS ECU.

good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
krgs4, Thank you for your quick feedback.

I was able to find Bosch ABS DTC code for ABS by shorting the E1 and Tc in DCL1 (under the hood near EGR valve). then I turn ON the key and ABS light was flashing 3 times very 3 seconds mean I had DTC code # 33. It is about Rear Right ABS sensor or its circuit.

I was also able to reset the ABS code while E1 and Tc short and key to ON and then pressing the brake paddle 8 times with in 3 seconds. It comes back as soon as I drive 50 feets. I also try to find sensor pulses (code 71 and up) using E1 ans Ts short but it only show #33 as lower code first.

So, I removed the Rear right edge seat and tested the sensor. I found RR sensor was short. I have done repair at dealer for $193 part and $220 ($110 per hour in NYC) labor. That was expensive. Toyota dealer is really a rip off. I could gone to local repair shop for cheaper option. Anyway, It was a great experience.

Thanks, RD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts