Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the situation.. I was in very VERY deep snow Yesterday. I do have a plow and I did plow a lot yesterday.. BUT I also just DROVE through very deep snow for many miles (5-6 Miles).. 18-22" deep EASILY. Anyways....

I drove about 10 miles on decent road (not much snow)... and my ABS Light came on, my Traction Control Light came on, my VSC Light was flashing... I didn't know it until I got home (about 2 hours later)... But my brake lights were staying on the entire time I was driving. My garage is not heated.. but I pulled it in there.. I had to disconnect my battery so it wouldn't die (I charged it also)...

I called the dealer - they said I could adjust the brake switch (and when I PULL the brake light the brake light goes out). They said to try to take it to a car wash also..

ANYWAYS - has anyone else ever had this problem? Any suggestions? I have to get out plowing like 5 hours ago (I'm missing on $$$)... I'm about to just drive it as is because I'm missing $100/hr.

Thank you for your help and Happy Holidays!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Check under the vehicle to make sure non of the wire for the sensors were pulled or disconnected as a result of driving on a deep snow. Wheel speed sensor wires on each wheel particularly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you... I'm heading to a car wash and i'll check it out once I get the snow out of there. All of the info is appreciated..

And the mechanic said the same thing as you.. I'm hoping I didn't rip the wires.

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
I would suspect one of the wheel sensor wires got unplugged or damaged. The ABS thinks one wheel is not turning.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Very interesting thread. this happened to my subaru a couple years back cause of driving in snow for hours too, but when it warmed up, and i did a battery reset it went away. Why didn't toyota make our tundras hermetically sealed up to 30 tinches like they did with the FJ? Probably the same reason they didn't put a true locker in the rear also. Sometimes Toyota make me pretty upset!!!
Anways, let us know the cause, and I hope it's nothing too serious. I'm betting it's not serious.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just plowed my drive and no lights came on (good news).. but my brake light is still on. IF I pull back on the brake pedal, the light does go out... Hoping that the pedal ajustment is easy... Wish it was warmer to check insetead of 14 Degrees.

thanks everyone.. keep the suggestions coming.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lights came back on. I did clean it at a car wash and drove it about 15 miles.. the lights are staying off. It appears they are all connected. my brake light deal is the wiring harness below the dash.. it apprears the wires are lose and just jarred around. I got the lights to stop staying on.

so far - looks like it is ok.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same thing happened to me, exact same thing. I disconnected the positive cable to the battery for a couple of minutes, re-attached and no more lights.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same thing happened to me, exact same thing. I disconnected the positive cable to the battery for a couple of minutes, re-attached and no more lights.

i did that last nite - didn't work :(

glad it did for u.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just logged on to report the same exact thing. my dash was like my christmas tree. abs, vcs flashing ,4wd hi and low flashing ,brake light solid . I shut the truck down and everything cleared but the abs light . my was fine untill i spun alittle getting in my driveway. we have had about 2 feet of snow and i've been plowing. no trouble at all until i spun . i have been driving clean and clear roads since sunday afternoon

·
Registered
297 Posts
Same thing happened to me but my 4wd light came no as well.

I turned the truck off and then turned it back on - all lights cleared themselves BUT the solid ABS light, which did clear itself after a little bit of driving.

-rockstate
Let me guess. You were in LSD mode when this happened?:rolleyes:

My dealer says it's "normal". I think they are full of ****, and will be knocking on their door when I reproduce it. 40K truck, I'll be damned if I can't drive in LSD mode whenever I want and not have the truck get "confused".

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
allot of times wires come loose as stated above or ice/snow buildup jams up the brakes and sensors. I have gotten misc. road debris lodged in the calipers as the snow gets pushed around and melts. Generally, I think the super cold situations reak havok on the fluids and sensors. Hope it all works after the bath!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Busted speed sensor wire=$65

Replace speed sensor=$250.

Did both and it was easy to fix, but wasn't cheap. My truck had all the warning lights when accidentally I pulled the wires out of my speed sensor plug installing on the front suspension. So, I waited a while to buy the wiring. Got it and went to install it and noticed some lain brain tried to force the plug in at a earlier time and bent one of the wires in the speed sensor. They are so delicate I could not straighten it out and it broke. So,I bought a speed sensor. Put it all in and all but the ABS light went out immediately. After a few minutes the ABS light went out.

Hope nothing got torn out. If not, it should work itself out. A little warmth, a little TLC, a little celaning and checking should make all the difference in the world. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same thing happened to me but my 4wd light came no as well.

I turned the truck off and then turned it back on - all lights cleared themselves BUT the solid ABS light, which did clear itself after a little bit of driving.

-rockstate
Ditto what Rockstate said above. It happened to me after driving in 30"+ snow on the street in front of my house. The temperature was also below 0F. It worked fine the next day and ABS light stayed on for a bit then turned off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Regarding the original poster's issue.. I had the identical experience yesterday after driving through some really deep snow... with the ABS light and VSC light flashing and my brake lights kept going off and on all night after shutting the truck off. I also noticed my trailer brake controller throwing out some weird codes as well and clicking which was unusual. So this morning took it to the dealer and the problem was remedied by unplugging the trailer brake controller. I don't understand how that could cause all of these issues but I intend to follow up with the people who installed it for me and see if we can resolve it for good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The codes on the brake controller indicated that it had a short on the blue wire... now we have to figure out why the blue wire shorted out from driving through deep snow and how that short caused my dash to light up like a Christmas Tree and the brakes to stay lit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to me after going through deep snow. All lights lite up as everyone else but mine included the 4HI and 4LO indicators too. I turned off the truck and then restarted. That cleared all but the ABS. After I started moving that when off. I am wondering if it has something to so with low break pads. I know mine at 43K need to be replaced around. I know that I have done deep snow before in the past without issue. I hope someone has a definite answer to why this happens. I just bought out my lease and now starting to wonder if I did the right thing.

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to me after going through deep snow. All lights lite up as everyone else but mine included the 4HI and 4LO indicators too. I turned off the truck and then restarted. That cleared all but the ABS. After I started moving that when off. I am wondering if it has something to so with low break pads. I know mine at 43K need to be replaced around. I know that I have done deep snow before in the past without issue. I hope someone has a definite answer to why this happens. I just bought out my lease and now starting to wonder if I did the right thing.
Ice buildup can confuse and/or damage the wheel sensors and wiring. This is the most likely cause for the ABS light. :(
Call Al Gore and ask him what happened to global warming.:eek::devil:

·
Registered
5 Posts
problem just started on my Tundra, 40k miles, we had snow a week ago, about 8 inches, which is all pretty well gone now since it has warmed up and now rained. been driving it all week without problems but today i get in, ABS light was on, went to back out of my driveway and heard a clunking noise like the VSC was trying to work, and the the VSC and VSC OFF lights were now on, and the 4HI 4LO indicators were flashing. havent had a chance to check any connections, but when i parked in my driveway last night the temp was like 40ish and the rain hadnt started yet. and then this afternoon when i left the house, boom.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts