Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have and 05 4 x 4. 6" RCD lift. Truck was pulling right. Found right wheel bearing bad. Changed wheel bearing. Also changed front brakes. Turned rotors and installed new calipers. Installed 4 new ProComp AT's and had alignment. Truck is still pulling right and ABS is activating when truck is coming to a stop. Only when I get to 5 mph or less. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I removed an ABS sensor when I replaced a rear axle seal. I put it back together and everytime I stopped, the ABS activated under 10mph. I checked everything out, and found the o-ring on the sensor was damaged. I replaced the o-ring and haven't had any issues since.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I recently had a similar problem with my wife's Santa Fe. I did a visual inspection
of each wheel speed sensor and found nothing wrong with them. On the advice
of others, I checked the tone ring (toothed wheel ring) and found it to be cracked,
causing the wheel speed sensor to give a false code. Just a couple of things
to start with.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulled both sensors back out and cleaned. Reinstalled and problem is gone for now! Still having the issue with the truck pulling hard right when I apply brakes though. Not sure what to do next? Swapped front brake lines to make sure one wasn't bad and the problem stayed the same.

·
2,445 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my ABS... not the pulling right. I just had a left rear wheel bearing fail. As the bearing was starting to go out my brakes were doing some weird pulsing and it felt like they were failing so I had less control over stopping when slowing down (below 5-10MPH) The ABS warning light was activated. They worked fine on a hard stop and at higher speeds. It was an intermittent issue before the bearing was replaced. Of course when it was in the shop I mentioned it to the service people but there was no indication of the problem (so they said) while the truck was in for repair. It recently started happening again and this time it is constant. Every time I slowly come to a stop the brakes feel like they are failing (I guess that is the ABS activating) and the truck does not want to stop. It is not a comforting feeling.

After reading some posts on here regarding ABS issues I went out and disconnected the ABS wiring on the rear differential. That solved the brake problem for now. Do you think it is OK to run the brakes with the ABS disconnected in the rear but working in the front or should I just disconnect the fronts as well? And the ABS warning light is activated but I don't really care because the brakes work!

Looks like she is going back in for more warranty work... and another days worth of time traveling back and forth to the dealer:(

At least it is all covered under extended warranty.

·
2,445 Posts
Pulled both sensors back out and cleaned. Reinstalled and problem is gone for now! Still having the issue with the truck pulling hard right when I apply brakes though. Not sure what to do next? Swapped front brake lines to make sure one wasn't bad and the problem stayed the same.
I did not see specifically where you stated the truck is pulling right when only the brakes are applied or is it pulling right all the time?

If it is pulling right all the time it is most likely not the brakes.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Do you think it is OK to run the brakes with the ABS disconnected in the rear but working in the front or should I just disconnect the fronts as well? And the ABS warning light is activated but I don't really care because the brakes work!.
The entire ABS system is disabled with only 1 sensor unplugged, so you don't need to unplug a front sensor. I drove around like that for a few days this winter with no problems.

·
2,445 Posts
The entire ABS system is disabled with only 1 sensor unplugged, so you don't need to unplug a front sensor. I drove around like that for a few days this winter with no problems.
It turns out that my speedo stopped working and my check engine light came on. Did you run across similar issues when you had your ABS disconnected.

Personally I would rather feel safe stopping than knowing exactly how fast I am going.

The dealership couldn't get me in until this Friday. I suppose that is good news for them. They are busy.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
It turns out that my speedo stopped working and my check engine light came on. Did you run across similar issues when you had your ABS disconnected.
No. My speedo quit and the CEL was on shortly after that. I had a code for the output speed sensor, but I found it was caused by my Truspeed calibrator.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just installed a lift on my truck and the first time I took it for a ride, the ABS would activate just as the truck was coming to a stop. I took the sensors out, cleaned them and put them back in and the problem went away. For anyone that has this happen, make sure the sensors are seated right when you reinstall them. When I reinstalled them after doing the lift, the driver side sensor didn't feel like it seated right but I figured it was fine and then had issues. I made sure it seated right the second time and no more issues.

·
2,445 Posts
So........... I pulled out the speed sensor on the side where my rear wheel bearing was replaced. Pieces of metal were collecting on it and the sensor has some wear because of that. I cleaned it a reinstalled... problem solved and it took all of 15 minutes.

Now I have to wonder if other pieces of metal have contaminated the differential. You would think that if a wheel bearing is disintegrating that a "service technician" would know enough to clean out the area where the part was failing. I just saved myself 8 hours of driving and two days of running back and forth to the dealership. And, I know the service dept. there is not to be trusted.

Thank you TS!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I removed an ABS sensor when I replaced a rear axle seal. I put it back together and everytime I stopped, the ABS activated under 10mph. I checked everything out, and found the o-ring on the sensor was damaged. I replaced the o-ring and haven't had any issues since.
Quick question, where did you buy the o’ring for the sensor?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did my senor o-rings last year, as one had disintegrated on my 04 allowing water in and destroying the bearing. I took the good one from the opposite side and went to Napa. We just matched it from bulk boxes they keep in the back. 8000 miles with no abs problems. Keep in mind, the front and rear sensors look similar from the outside but when I went to do the rears, the o-ring was a different size. Had to go back to the store, not the end of the world, but woulda been nice to know beforehand. That was for an 04 4WD, ymmv.

Be sure to clean the area around the sensor before removing, you don't want grit in that hole.

A little silicone grease helps the o-ring slide on the sensor without twisting. Take a good look at it make sure the ring is seated smoothly around the sensor before installing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts