Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I took the truck in to have the recalls done. During the visit I had the oil changed, first one, and had the automatic door lock parameters changed. As you know the default setting is to have the doors lock when the truck reaches about 12mph. I found out that if you are at, say an ATM, and shift to park the doors unlock and when you shift back to drive and pull away the truck never relocks. I did not like this so I had the service department change it to lock the doors everytime the truck is shifted from park. In addition, I had them make it so that the doors do not auto unlock.

Now for the problem.

As I pulled out of the dealership I heard a 'noise' imagine that! It sounded like an impact wrench torquing a nut for no more than a second and that was the only time it did it during the drive home. I thought maybe it was a rock being slung from my tread up into the wheel well. The next day started up the truck pulled out of my driveway and BURRRRRP. Did it again. Well after a few days of the stupid pedal shim I called for the replacement pedal. During the time of waiting for the pedal to come in I decided to pin point the exact conditions when the 'noise' was happening. It only took a few days to figure it out.

Everytime I start the truck and get up to about 12-15mph, BURRRP, and I feel the vibration in the pedal. It never does it again while driving only after the truck is turned off and started again. Does not matter if it is setting over night or you turned it off to run into the store real quick. Every time you start the truck get to 15mph, BURRRP.

So last night I was at the dealer getting the awsome new pedal and I explained the noise to the service advisor and he went back to talk to a tech. The verdict was that it was the ABS pump doing a test. He stated that Toyotas do this every time they are started and I probably did not notice it before because the doors were auto locking at the same time. Since I changed that I will notice the pre-check. Is this true? Has any of you heard this noise? Has any of you been told it was the ABS pump?

I have driven a few other manufacturers vehicles and never heard any sounds coming from the ABS pump unless it was activated. This is the first Toyota that I had that has ABS.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The noise that you refer to is the ABS self test diagnostic. It happens the first time you reach 15 mph after the truck has been started.;)
That is also the default setting for the doors to lock, so most of the time you don't hear it. Now that you've changed the door lock settings it is more noticeable.:D

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
lots of vehicles do it FYI...some are more noticeable than others.

Side note, I for one hate those auto door locks. if i want them locked i'll lock em. I hate the truck thinking i want to be locked in every time i drive off. got used to it finally but every other vehicle i've ever had i found a way to disable them...too lazy to try to get the T reprogrammed. at least they arent as noisey as GM door locks were on my silverado. that was annoying.

but back to your ABS deal, its even in the manual if you wanna read it next time u are sittin on the can.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Learn something new everyday. I guess I never hear it over the door locks too. Good to know though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, I had told the service advisor that Toyota did that on purpose. Making the door locks default to auto lock between 12-15mph to mask the pump test.

but back to your ABS deal, its even in the manual if you wanna read it next time u are sittin on the can.
Manual, what manual, we don't need no steeekin. manual:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts