Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of cleaning the ABS sensors on your brakes. I haven't but the local mechanic where we get our vehicles inspected here in Pittsburgh said that he does it pretty often. I was surprised, I changed the front rotors on my wife's 300 a few months ago but still experience once in a while when at slow speeds backing out of the driveway that the brakes seem to act oddly. When I asked him about it he told me about the sensors.

I trust this guy and he would not tell me something to make money. I know him that well. But he told me that it is a time consuming job. About an hour per wheel. I like the guy but I hate to pay for 4 hours of his time.

If any of you have any advise let me know. I would rather do it myself.

Thanks

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of cleaning the ABS sensors on your brakes. I haven't but the local mechanic where we get our vehicles inspected here in Pittsburgh said that he does it pretty often. I was surprised, I changed the front rotors on my wife's 300 a few months ago but still experience once in a while when at slow speeds backing out of the driveway that the brakes seem to act oddly. When I asked him about it he told me about the sensors.

I trust this guy and he would not tell me something to make money. I know him that well. But he told me that it is a time consuming job. About an hour per wheel. I like the guy but I hate to pay for 4 hours of his time.

If any of you have any advise let me know. I would rather do it myself.

Thanks
There is 1 6mm bolt holding the sensor into the knuckle on each wheel.
Remove bolt
Take sensor out and clean debris (if any)

NOTE: If there is alot of corrosion, you may damage the sensor removing it... BE CAREFUL

If the sensors are not corroded, they will usually come right out. 1 HR labor to clean (all 4 ) is sufficient.

If the sensors are rusty/corroded or whatever, then 4 hrs may be appropriate if all 4 need to be replaced, because they break upon removal.
They can become contaminated with road debris, road salt, sand, mud ect.......especially if you live where it snows or there is alot of humidity.
Good Luck and be careful.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mustang,

Thanks for the reply, I will take a look at the position of them. I have changed the brakes a few times and the rotors once but never looked around I guess. I don't know what they look like but I will investigate. I'll stop by the local auto parts to see about a shop manual for the RX 300. We plan on keeping it a few more years. Are the sensors on the caliper casting??????

Thanks
Ben

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
The speed sensor is bolted to the KNUCKLE.
You will need a 10mm socket to remove the 6mm bolt that hold it in. BECARFEUL REMOVING, slowly twist it back and forth, there is an "O" ring on it to keep debris out, it sticks sometimes ar gets fully or road junk.
DO NOT PRY ON IT, IT WILL BREAK.
You can spray WD40 or equvilant on it to help wash away and debris and to help eas it out.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mustang,

I'll give it a shot sometime this week in the evening. I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the effort.

Ben

1 - 5 of 5 Posts