Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After driving, sometimes within a minute, sometimes within 1 hour, the ABS, VSC, Trac lights start flashing. The trans temp and water temp and TACH will also stop working. Occasionally the Speedometer will also stop working or just bounce. The truck drives and functions fine. The ABS still functions etc...

I had the same problem 6 months ago so I just stuck my head under the dash and unplugged and replugged all connections I could find and haven't had the problem until now. Looking for help or advice on how pinpoint the cause of this problem and fix this permanently. A schematic of the dash wiring would be very helpful.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have there been any aftermarket modifications to the vehicle? If so, was anything wired in? Radio, speakers, radar, fog lights etc..

If you aren't the first owner.. Find out if the vehicle was ever involved in a collision.

You may have a water leak from your windshield running down the inside of your a-pillar, and onto the junction block behind the gauge cluster or left kick panel. (See if your windshield says TOYOTA on one of the lower corners. If its been replaced it will have some other brand on it. You may have or have had a small leak! Often times, the drip molding (runs along the roof on either side) is not sealed properly. Black silicone is your friend in that case.

Good luck,
Jake

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm the original owner. No wrecks or damage. No noticable leaks or signs of leaks.

The schematics help (thank you) but only make the problem more confusing. It appears that all the gauges use the same power source (a single wire) into the instrument cluster. It makes no sense why some gauges go out but others continue to work since the share this same power source.

If I had to speculate there could be a bad trace on the circuit board of the instrument cluster, or there is a poor connection in the supply voltage at the plug or somewhere in the harness and some of the gauges are more sensitive to the voltage drop than others.

The Tach, water temp and trans temp will go out all at the same time. The speedometer will go out separately but only if the Tach & temp gauges have gone out. Once the VSC, ABS, and Traction lights come on they stay on until the ignition is turned off and back on again. The gauges however, will cycle on and off while driving.

One interesting thing is that if I slap the top of the dash when the gauges go out, sometimes they come back on...

Right now, I'm thinking of disconnecting all of the connectors under the dash and wiping the contact surfaces with alcohol.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Sounds like something is exposed and grounding itslef, tus, explaining why it works when you tap the dash. I have had similiar problems, and I think the alram or stereo work is the culprit... Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Gutz, I see what you mean..

Let's say, for instance.. If your truck wasn't equipped from the factory with keyless entry or anti-theft.. The people at the Port (where the truck is shipped to) could have installed one or more options, and possibly a new guy was doing the job.. You never know..

Your problem is really unfortunate.. I hate intermittent electrical problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
jasonpmsu,

I just read your post, and I have seen the same thing on another Tundra. It may or may not be the root cause, but check both your left and right kick panel wire to wire connector trees for any sign of corrision in the connectors. There was a case where an owner of a Tundra was cleaning the door area of his truck with a hose and got water up in to the wire harness connector tree behind the kick panel. It caused some systems to fail randomly, the rougher the ride, the more likely the system would work, and the smoother the ride, the opposite.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
And if some of the gauges go out and some don't its probably not the power source. It could be a bad ground, corroded, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you ever get this problem fixed? I am having the EXACT same problem out of my 07.....havent had an issue at all until about a month ago, one night I noticed all of the issues you had, then they started working again, tonite on my way home they went out again, but when i got on a bumpy road they would go on and off, on and off....when i parked the truck and threw the shifter into neutral they all came alive again. The truck does just fine, all the gauges (except the battery and fuel) stop functioning, vss light, cruise, and brake lights come on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally isolated it down to the fuse box above the E-brake. Sometimes it wouldn't act up for 6 months but when it does I just very gently tap the cover of the fuse box and every thing starts working again.

My guess is that it was just a poor connection at those dinky little fuses. I pulled the fuses out and reinserted them and I haven't gotten the issue since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts