Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going down the interstate Saturday and ac compressor made a squelling sound for about 5 seconds. Dealer says compressor is locked up and is looking for big bucks to replace (compressor, clutch and receiver dryer). Also I'm not having any luck finding re-manufactured parts. That tells me that this is probably rare for a 2003. Does it seem odd that a 2003 Tundra would cough up a compressor? Anybody know of a source for re-manf compressor and clutch? This is my first Toyota and to be honest I was expecting better.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
I am curious to how many miles did you have on your truck? Do you live in an area with heavy duty AC use?

I would definitely be bummed about this. I know that it will be very expensive, but what else can one do?

I would try to get an estimate from a local foreign car mechanic and see what he could do. We all know how the dealers can be too high on price. You might also try several quotes from other dealers.

Let us know how this comes out.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
I am curious to how many miles did you have on your truck? Do you live in an area with heavy duty AC use?

I would definitely be bummed about this. I know that it will be very expensive, but what else can one do?

I would try to get an estimate from a local foreign car mechanic and see what he could do. We all know how the dealers can be too high on price. You might also try several quotes from other dealers.

Let us know how this comes out.
I am sorry, now I can see Florida...whoa...only thing worse would be Houston.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck has about 67K miles. Yes its in Florida so its used 11 months of the year but like I said I had high expectations from Toyota. I'm seeing a couple sources for re-manf parts so that's at least a positive note.

If anyone could recommend an ac shop in the Jacksonville or St. Augustine area I'd appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
The truck has about 67K miles. Yes its in Florida so its used 11 months of the year but like I said I had high expectations from Toyota. I'm seeing a couple sources for re-manf parts so that's at least a positive note.

If anyone could recommend an ac shop in the Jacksonville or St. Augustine area I'd appreciate it.
I would be p!ssed too. 67k is not enough for a compressor to go out even in an eleven month cooling cycle.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

2003 Toyota Tundra A/C Accumulator/Drier from DiscountAcParts
Here you go gives an idea, thank god I can do ac refrigeration work, this is pretty rare you hardly hear anything about ac problems on this site, try a search and you'll see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the lead on Discount AC Parts. I got a new compressor and drier for $445 and it works like a champ.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Did you replace the expansion valve and flush out the system? When a compressor dies, it usually spits metal into the system. If you don't flush it, it will eventually plug the expansion valve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts