Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up to anyone who is thinking of using these. I bought these from Rock Auto and installed March 2018. Both sides already worn out. Granted I probably have everything working against me for premature wear. Bilstein 5100 leveling struts set at 4th notch, larger tires, and I drive 30 miles of washboard gravel roads every day. But I thought they would last longer than that. Started to hear a grinding noise when turning about a month ago. Sounded like a rock in the dust shield. Power washed and lubed everything and it was good for a few weeks but came back. Finally decided to jack it up and sure enough the lowers were shot. Went with NAPA brand this time so we will see. I guess it will have to be a regular item to check at oil change. The originals had been in there for 160k miles and were still good but I needed to replace the lower control arms so I figured I'd get it all new while I was in there. Would have been a good idea had I used good LBJs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I would have had the time to wait for OEMs but they were 3 days out and I needed the truck. And it wasnt safe to drive as it was. At least the NAPA brand had made in Japan on the box.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wish I would have had the time to wait for OEMs but they were 3 days out and I needed the truck. And it wasnt safe to drive as it was. At least the NAPA brand had made in Japan on the box.
Hopefully they’re better. At least they’re not that hard to change if you do have to replace them. I have NAPA LBJ’s in my Durango, because Dodge doesn’t make them anymore. They seemed to be quality built, but who knows. The truck doesn’t get driven much so I don’t really have an opinion yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am old enuf to remember when 'Made in Japan' meant ' Piece of Crap'...
Now it is a Toyota Part Shopper MUST!
Happy New Year y'all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
A few months ago I bought a 2000 Tundra with about 225k (now at 227k). I don’t know anything about it’s repair history, so I’ve been repairing and replacing whatever takes priority. However, after reading endless posts about lower ball joint failures, I figured I would move that up on the priority list. It’s my daily driver, but only about 10-20 miles a day average. The shop I have the work done believes duralast over Moog parts would be best. I suggested OEM...what is my best option?
I would like to do some soft off-roading in the future, but for now I just run pavement. I’m looking for some piece of mind for when I start hitting the highway road trips.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At that mileage I'd be surprised if you can get the alignment cams to budge so you may need new bushings or control arms as well. Other than OEM which lasted 160k miles or so and were still good, I've only used the delco which lasted 20k. Hopefully the NAPA ones will work out but given a choice I'd stick with OEM. NAPA can get the oem version. I think they are the Altrom brand.

·
Registered
242 Posts
A few months ago I bought a 2000 Tundra with about 225k (now at 227k). I don’t know anything about it’s repair history, so I’ve been repairing and replacing whatever takes priority. However, after reading endless posts about lower ball joint failures, I figured I would move that up on the priority list. It’s my daily driver, but only about 10-20 miles a day average. The shop I have the work done believes duralast over Moog parts would be best. I suggested OEM...what is my best option?
I would like to do some soft off-roading in the future, but for now I just run pavement. I’m looking for some piece of mind for when I start hitting the highway road trips.
Just go oem. Duralast doesn’t last either. I’ve seen people replace with Duralast and the balljoints have play in them as soon as they’re installed and have some weight on them. I put oems in and didn’t align the truck afterwards. It drives straight still and the tires haven’t been wearing bad so I’ve left it alone. Luckily mine has held a good alignment because I’m dreading the day I have to pull lower bushings and cam adjusters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
At that mileage I'd be surprised if you can get the alignment cams to budge so you may need new bushings or control arms as well. Other than OEM which lasted 160k miles or so and were still good, I've only used the delco which lasted 20k. Hopefully the NAPA ones will work out but given a choice I'd stick with OEM. NAPA can get the oem version. I think they are the Altrom brand.
Yes, the control arms and bushings don’t appear to be in good shape. I was planning on replacing everything up front. Thank you for suggesting oem. I agree that would be the best option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just go oem. Duralast doesn’t last either. I’ve seen people replace with Duralast and the balljoints have play in them as soon as they’re installed and have some weight on them. I put oems in and didn’t align the truck afterwards. It drives straight still and the tires haven’t been wearing bad so I’ve left it alone. Luckily mine has held a good alignment because I’m dreading the day I have to pull lower bushings and cam adjusters.

I agree oem will be my best bet. The lower ball joints are my only complaint about the truck. Other than regular maintenance, the tundra is an amazing truck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, the control arms and bushings don’t appear to be in good shape. I was planning on replacing everything up front. Thank you for suggesting oem. I agree that would be the best option.
The further along I went in preacquiring entire F/E busings, T/Rs, end links, etc., the more it has been made clear it is best by far to go OEM. ALWAYS.
I cannot afford to buy every part again that's not OEM, but still imagine no problems for at least 50K mostly On Road/Highway.
Offroad is no place to get stuck...
All future F/E replacement parts after this job will be Authentic OEM.
If you shop Online Toyota Dealer Parts you can get a great deal shipped in one shot for everything or check/order local and save on shipping.
(Capt Obvious statement maybe but sometimes first timers can benefit by Our early knowledge gaps...)
Happy New Year to All!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine had around 350k miles and they had no problem at all aligning mine.
I went with Sankei 555 & OEM parts on my rebuild fwiw.
Mines a 2005, at 25k it had lowers replaced on its recall so the ones Toy put on went 325k. I have replaced sway bar links twice.
I run interstate & rural roads, no off roading.
Fwiw- It was a real easy job to do them. I rented the ball joint removal kit from AutoZone for free.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts