Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2005 Tundra double cab with the v-8. Lately I have had some issues with the engine surging when I accelerate lightly. About 600 miles ago I had the same problem and when I had finally had enough of it I accelerated a little harder and it acted as if it just shut down. As soon as I let off, it was okay again. The surging is more pronounced when I am either accelerating or going up a slight incline. It sometimes seems to be a pattern but then it may be a random surge. I finally got brave enough and accelerated and continued to step on it without letting up, it popped a lean code. I took it to a local, non-toyota shop and had the fuel filter changed, plugs changed and checked out. (I am 65 miles to a toyota dealer). They said it had good fuel pressure, one plug was pretty carboned up but seemed fine. I got it back and the surging was gone. Within 600 miles I was on a short road trip and noticed the problem beginning again. Obviously it was not the filter. I hesitate to take it too far because of the fear of getting stuck someplace and having to tow it. I did notice last winter it would surge in a pattern when it was cold and I was climbing a hill in town at about 15mph. It also sometimes has an erratic idle. I drive an old camry most of the time and the tundru sits in the garage as much as I can. It has 80,000 miles on it. I love the truck but am afraid since there is no codes that a shop may just trial and error me to a huge bill. Anyone got ideas where to try next. Is the fuel pump hard to fix? I am pretty good mechanically, I have overhauled engines etc. Older stuff mostly, I just dont want to get into a job to find that I need a special tool or something. Thanks for the help. Walt:ts:

·
Premium Member
8,277 Posts
Clean the MAF and the throttle body. If this hasn't been done in 80K miles, it's time.
Definitely try these ideas as preventative maintenance. Your Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) is the easiest thing to clean with regards to throwing a CEL code saying your running lean. The throttle body is right there, so you may as well clean it while you're waiting for the MAF to dry. Also an easy chore for a man with a screwdriver and a shop rag. To do both of these jobs you'll need a phillips screwdriver, CRC MAF Cleaner, some type of TB-Choke Cleaner, and some rags (for the TB).

Your other options are to check your maintenance records versus the scheduled maintenance the truck is supposed to have had. If you don't have a copy with your owner's manual, you can find that online here: Toyota Parts and Service

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts