Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 05 Access Cab and my wife and i are expecting our first kid. I've searched on here and it appears the Britax Runabout 50 is the best fit. Trading in my truck isn't an option, we are keeping it til its paid, then we can get a minivan. What do I need to know about fitment issues? I see that the base on a Britax seat is small and it fit perfect rear facing in my truck when we tried one. it sucks that it sticks so far forward inbetween the two front seats, but oh well. I don't know how well any seat will work when it goes forward facing. I don't believe the base gets snapped off on the Runabout. I know a booster seat for a 3 year old fits fine. The issue i've read is that the seat isn't deep and the back is completely verticle.

I'm looking for any issues any of you have had and to learn what works. Let me know.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've got an 05 Access Cab and my wife and i are expecting our first kid. I've searched on here and it appears the Britax Runabout 50 is the best fit. Trading in my truck isn't an option, we are keeping it til its paid, then we can get a minivan. What do I need to know about fitment issues? I see that the base on a Britax seat is small and it fit perfect rear facing in my truck when we tried one. it sucks that it sticks so far forward inbetween the two front seats, but oh well. I don't know how well any seat will work when it goes forward facing. I don't believe the base gets snapped off on the Runabout. I know a booster seat for a 3 year old fits fine. The issue i've read is that the seat isn't deep and the back is completely verticle.

I'm looking for any issues any of you have had and to learn what works. Let me know.
The guy I bought mine from had a car seat. I know the rear middle bench seat has some car seat directions when you pull down the arm rest thing i think. Isn't that where the car seat is supposed to go?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you! Congrats!
Just found out my baby is a boy!! Due mid July.
Have looked into car seats, and just figured that with having captains chairs up front, I figured that I could just put any car seat in the middle of the rear bench and just have the seat poke between the captains chairs, when I actually have the baby with me. Although, we are going to get rid of the wife's mustang and get a more family friendly car or SUV.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The first 6 months with the forward facing seat is going to be the challenge. Make sure the seat has a snap in base so it's easier to get in and out. You will be constantly moving the passenger seat up and out of the way to get the baby seat in and out.
If you have another vehicle that is more friendly, you will likely use that more often anyway.

Congrats to both of you :baby:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks and congrats to you too. Were having a boy as well. My wife drives an Accord and that will be the primary car. The issue with a carseat carrier is that with the base installed properly, the seat doesn't fit that well. Thats why we were going to go with a convertible seat, the britax. I'm not going to have the boy in my truck all that often and thats why were not getting rid of it. I figured i'd see what everyone else did for a seat before we had the baby. I will try to mess with the carrier when we get it and see if i can make the base and carrier work. I can see that we'll have to constantly move the front seat up to get the seat/baby in and out. And yeah, the seat should go in the middle, but there aren't any anchors in the middle so maybe Toyota doesn't want the baby in the middle?

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Unless I am wrong you can use the lap/shoulder belt to secure the base into the vehicle in the middle seat. That is what we did. We had safety first seat but I have seen the britax seats and the base set up looks very similar so I am guessing that fit inside a vehicle would be similar. I used to have a regular cab F-150 that I could fit a seat and base in. One thing you might want to do is just look for a used base on line. That way you can always leave the spare base in your truck and it is always properly secured if you need to use it. Buying a new base is 4 times the price at most stores compared to buying one used through Kijiji or CraigsList. Babies are like weddings. As soon as you go to buy something for either of those 2 major events Cha ching$$$$$$$$$$. Good luck

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congradulations!
I just went through the same thing (and about to do it again with child #2, due in July :) In the end I traded my AC and got a DC. Soooo much esier to deal with but I know that's not an option for you.
I had my child seat mounted behind the passenger seat. The down side is that you have to push the passenger seat way up and my wife got sick of riding right up on the dash. I never tried to mount the seat in the middle but I would think it would be a pain getting the kid in and out from the middle, especially if you truck is lifted? It wasn't too bad when he was an infant and in the small seat but after 6 months when he moved to a bigger seat it was a real issue with the AC.

Good luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Congrats! My son is a year and a half now and it was a major pain in the butt to use my 2000 Tundra AC with a car seat. First of all, you can only put a car seat in the middle of the back bench seat because it does not fit behind either front seats with the front seats at a comfortable position for adults sitting in them. My truck didn't have the seat locks which all newer vehicle have no so I had to use the lap beat which was a pain to get tight. In order to get my son in and out I had to crawl in the back to buckle and unbuckle him. Once he was big enough to turn the seat around his feet would stick out onto the center console. We have a Britax seat. We ended up hardly ever using my truck if we needed to go somewhere together and would use the wifes crewmax which has enough room for an army in the back seat! If you are patient it will work. The best tip is to find a seat that can have the back support adjustable because the back seat in the access cabs in basically straight up and down and most car seats are angled to help the babies be more comforable. You need the extra room to be able to match the same angle of the back seat so there is more room in the front for the babies legs.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
It is a pain with the seat facing forward. Never tried it backwards. I dated a chick with a baby and it did make my truck a bit on the cramped side. Just got to put the front seats forward and hope it's a short trip.
Congrats to you shotking and also to you Marauder, points sent.
Minivan? poor Shotking! :nod: sacrificing for the family deserves more points.

·
2,445 Posts
Congratulations to you soon to be parents... it is an awesome time. We used the Britax Marathon. We got two because we had two vehicles. One Tundra and one Subaru. We could leave the base in which was the best... those Britax seats are worth every penny for convenience. I remember just un-clicking from the Tundra and you could click the little latches right on to a shopping cart, stroller or a jogging stroller. The rear facing was not too bad since we were able to leave the base in. The babe was closer to us :D.

The safest place in the vehicle is in the middle of the back seat. When it was time for forward facing it was not much trouble either... just turned her around and her little feet were right there. I am getting all emotional and stuff... :D I did have an AC at the time.

·
Goodbye '01 Tundra :(
168 Posts
I saw this thread and thought, "hey, I should send this to drew, he was just talking about this"...then I opened the thread and...its you!

Hi Drew! :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had no problems with a front- facing seat in my 2003 AC. I put it behind the passenger seat and yes, the seat needed to be forward but there was still enough room for my wife to sit.

Rear facing seats were a bigger issue. That would only go in the center, and still extended into the arm-rest space on the split bench seat. That, and the pain of dealing with the 'suicide' doors with kids in tight parking lots at day care forced me to sell the Tundra AC and get something bigger. (new F150 Supercrew. There's enough room in the back seat of that thing to camp out. It's ridiculously large.)

So, with one kid, you should be fine with the AC. Just start saving from something else if you think you'll have 2 or more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts