Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying my first truck next month. so my question is do I buy all dealer accessories or after mArket? I'm thinking bed liner, step bars etc

·
Registered
99 Posts
if you have plenty of $$$ to blow, go with the stealer. many more options available in the aftermarket and usually at better prices.

lee

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
What leebee said. The downside is because we are north of the border we pay more but aftermarket is still way cheaper. Depending how close you are to the border you can set up a mail box in the States and get stuff sent their even cheaper then go pick it up. You can get running boards out of the states for $350 or less. At a local auto shop here expect to pay around $500 but still better than the dealer most times.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Cost aside, if you go with the dealer equipment, you'll look like every other Tundra. Going with aftermarket will give you a chance to customize, even it is only step bars, etc. Our only dealership in town is a Toyota dealership. I can't throw a rock without hitting 3 other Tundras. Tough to stand out...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I personally like Toyota products.

I got the top of the line Pioneer HU, but last winter when the temperature got down to -15 F, it stopped working altogether (it worked fine when the weather warmed up). My wife's Toyota factory HU worked flawlessly at -15 F.

I was recently shopping for a set of tow mirrors and was tempted to buy non-Toyota ones at about the half the price. But reading through the posts by other people who bought these, I learned that these mirrors tend to vibrate above certain speed whereas Toyota tow mirrors tend to be rock solid. I got Toyota mirrors instead. I am willing to pay a little more (well sometimes a lot more) as long as I know that I am getting quality products.

Non-critical items I don't mind getting cheaper ones.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I must be lucky, my dealer can order just about any part from any vendor out there! When i picked up my 14 it was de badged, tinted, lifted (could have picked any kit I wanted), wheels/ tires of my choice, amp powersteps installed, topper with my specs, and added TRD goodies.

Toyota of Kalispell, MT is awesome!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I agree on some stuff like tow mirrors. I bought aftermarket tail light and they fit like crap. But I would never buy things like running boards, tonneau covers, bull bars etc. from a dealer, those aren't oem items anyways. I would always get that stuff some place else.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
^^I agree. For after-market parts that dealers sell, you are paying for their kids' toys, vacations, and so on. But their oem stuff's difficult to beat. Sometimes they work against you. After four winters and few bumps, my oem ss step boards still look great. I was hoping I could justify switching them out for a set of nFab, but no such luck, haha.

·
Registered
144 Posts
With aftermarket accessories, you will find many options and they won't cost you too much compared to dealership.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts