Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove about 250 miles on Sunday in my new tundra. Computer says the average mpg was 19. Has everyone found the computer to be correct. I was told that the computer is usually a couple mpg higher than the actual mpg.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Mine was within tenths of what my math says. 169 miles driven added 11.3 gallons and computer said 14.9 and my math says 14.95. Seems to be right on for me. I just cant get used to the gauge reading differently than every other Toyota truck I have owned including my wifes 05 4Runner. The thing that drives me crazy (kinda) is the current average while driving with the cruise on at highway speeds and it fluctuates back and forth up to 8 mpg. I can live with it but I hate watching it bounce around and have never had a truck with a computer readout that bounced that erratically. My wifes 4Runner might move around 1-2 mpg while cruising but its nothing like my Tundra.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thats good to know. Mine said 19 mpg yesterday.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The thing that drives me crazy (kinda) is the current average while driving with the cruise on at highway speeds and it fluctuates back and forth up to 8 mpg. I can live with it but I hate watching it bounce around and have never had a truck with a computer readout that bounced that erratically. My wifes 4Runner might move around 1-2 mpg while cruising but its nothing like my Tundra.
I'm pretty sure this is either instant MPG or if it is a current average, the sample length is VERY short. I noticed the difference between my wife's 4runner and my tundra too. The 4runner seems to be sampled from about 15-20 seconds of driving, where my truck seems to be MUCH shorter.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The average MPG is updated every 10 seconds, readings are taken from the fuel burned in the #1 cylinder.
Take a look at this PDF, you may find it interesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Yeah its the current fuel economy reading that drives me nuts, trying to figure out how I can go from 17.9 to 26 mpg and back and forth in 2 seconds on flat ground with the cruise on with it supposedly getting a reading every .5 seconds, no truck I have ever owned was that erratic.On the other hand the average reads like most vehicles I have owned.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine is has always been w/ in a few tenths of each other. Might be more to me not filling to exact same level depending on when it shuts off, if I add a half gallon to get to a round number, etc Hate how after 50 miles it shows 3/4 tank already and can only put in 20 gallons when I am at 0 miles to empty. Do I really have almost a 7 gallon reserve?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine is very close. After about 250 miles on a tank, the computer read 17.8 MPG. By using the calculator, my manual average was 18.1 MPG. Not bad for a 5800 lb 5.7L 4x4 with 390 miles total.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So....if I go up a hill and it reads 4mpg the entire way....and then I go down the hill and it reads 99.9 the entire way. Did I just average 50ish mpg??
SWEET!!

TK

·
Registered
742 Posts
I've been selling Toyotas for almost 14 years and until I got this Tundra, I never saw an "average" reading that was really accurate. I still don't know if I trust the "range" reading, but the average MPG is dead on.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just checked mine with 380 miles on this tank full of gas. It was dead on. I've had other vehicles with a read out like this, but none of them was as perfect as my Tundra's.
I LOVE MY TRUCK !!!!!!
Sorry for yelling, but my Blue Streak DC with TRD and 5.7 gets me crazy :)

DID YOU SAY CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My blue streak does the same thing!!!!;)

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
blueheadturner
Everytime I read this name, I keep thinking :rolleyes:"why is he bragging about getting little old ladies to look at him":D...bluehair's

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just calculated in 'long hand' my most recent tankful @ 16.666...
'Puter said 16.7..so it 'rounds off '. Mostly 80% road use, cruz @ 60 mph...to get best mileage as stated by others on this thread.
kinda hard to do on the zipway. I did notice my MPG dropping when I reset the 'meter' and go over 70 mph. it does fluctuate quite a bit, but I think it is actually extremely responsive i.e. if you are 'drafting behind a semi..or lugging uphill into a cross wind etc. Since I owned until just recently a Highlander Hybrid...which got all of 22 mpg:mad:...the HH bloggers termed the practice of 'toast n' coast', where you watched the 'crawl' on your mileage 'meter' and just burned enough to 'coast' a while...not practical w/ Tundra but some 'hi milers' swore by it...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just checked mine. Actual calculated mpg was .25 mpg higher than the computer said. Going fishing tomorrow and im pulling my buddies 24 ft bayboat. Cant wait to see how it performs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't know if y'all will see this because of the age but I would love to have your mpg. I have a 12 tundra with a 5.7 and a 26.5 tank and I'll be lucky if I can get 8

1 - 19 of 19 Posts