Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should I get a add a leaf or block lift for the back? I do alot of towing but have never lifted a truck before s I need some advice

·
Registered
299 Posts
Re: add a leafor block?

AAL- no question

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts

Springs yes!

say no to the blocks!

·
Registered
4 Posts

In my opinion I would go with the block. I just got a suspension lift and used a block instead of AAL. The ride is the same as stock.....I've had friends AAL and their ride has suffered. Do some searching. Good Luck

·
Registered
36 Posts

I added Wheeler AAL's. I tow a pontoon boat and it really helped while towing. The ride feel did change a little, but I think it was for the better.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

I added Wheeler AAL's. I tow a pontoon boat and it really helped while towing. The ride feel did change a little, but I think it was for the better.
i agree 100 percent. BLOCKS ARE THE DEVIL. they add to axle wrap, wear out your leaf springs quicker, and can break!

·
Registered
634 Posts

should I get a add a leaf or block lift for the back? I do alot of towing but have never lifted a truck before s I need some advice
I have had both. I have an AAL on mine now. Big mistake, roughened up the ride a bit too much. I am used to it now. If I did it again, it would be back to a block, as I like the smooth ride.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

I have had both. I have an AAL on mine now. Big mistake, roughened up the ride a bit too much. I am used to it now. If I did it again, it would be back to a block, as I like the smooth ride.
heres the idea: if you tow, off road at all, use the truck at all, or want to do it right go with AAL. Mine i can barely notice the change in ride...

Go with the block if you have a true street queen and want to do it cheaply.

·
Registered
634 Posts

heres the idea: if you tow, off road at all, use the truck at all, or want to do it right go with AAL. Mine i can barely notice the change in ride...

Go with the block if you have a true street queen and want to do it cheaply.

Your opinion, mine was as said.

·
Registered
92 Posts

I just lifted my truck and I used blocks to lift the back because I have seen alot of people complain about their ride being rougher with the AAL's. But the main reason I used blocks was because they were $34 at autozone. The only negative effects that I think the blocks caused is excess wheel hop when i spin out in soft sand, it did it before the lift but not as bad.

I think that if you have the money and don't mind a slightly rough ride, then the AAL's are the way to go.
If you are broke and enjoy a smooth ride, then go with the Blocks.

I do believe that the AAL's are much more mechanically sound than the blocks. The blocks will probably cause problems down the road but not for a while if your just using small blocks.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Yep if ya understand physics, leverage you would understand that blocks are no good.:eek:

yep ya keep stock springs and ride quality with blocks.:)
some never use there trucks except on road and don't appreciate axle wrap and things.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yep if ya understand physics, leverage you would understand that blocks are no good.:eek:

some never use there trucks except on road and don't appreciate axle wrap and things.
(Force)x(perp. Distance)= Moment about the point of rotation. So the moment or torque about the point where the block comes in contact with the leaf springs increases as the lift block hight increases.
Thats why I am only using 1" blocks. If I wanted to go any higher, I would have bought AAL's. I do agree though, even my 1" blocks put an undesired stress on my leaf springs and I would recomend using them only for light offroading like my 2wd will be doing.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

Do you think adding an AAL will help prevent some axle wrap? I get terrible axle wrap with my locker when I'm on sand and even on wet pavement if i really nail it. I do plan on lifting it (soon) and I have simply been debating this for awhile.

Sorry about the slight thread high-jack ;)

·
Registered
568 Posts
if i could get a bigger spacer id do both. MY AAL has noticeable ride difference but i drove to seattle and back on it this weekend and am still alive

·
Registered
299 Posts
The AAL may change ride a little- but if you do any towing it will support better than the weak stock springs that will sag low- especially if the front is lifted.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll go with the add a leaf. as you can see I'm an 07 owner but I use to have an 06.I posted thesame thread in the new forum but got very few responses. so I cam back home and posted and got the answer I was looking for. des anyone have expeieance with toytec? they have a new leveling kit for the 07 and I think I might go with them. but havent heard much about them. The guy from toytec said the dont usally recommend blocks for the rear but the leaf springs on the new truck are so stiff if you added another leaf the ride would b greatly comprimised. but I'll try the leaf If I dont like it I'll get the block. THanks again guys. it's good to b back in the pre-gen forum:D

·
Premium Member
2017 Tundra Limited CrewMax 4x4
29 Posts
I hate to further complicate things for you. If you are going to tow something, have you considered airbags? they provide a moderate lift at lower pressure and stiffen up the rear end with higher air pressure when you are towing. Just a thought.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hate to further complicate things for you. If you are going to tow something, have you considered airbags? they provide a moderate lift at lower pressure and stiffen up the rear end with higher air pressure when you are towing. Just a thought.
no never thought about the air bags. THat might be an option down the road. I'll see how things work out with the add a leaf first. I've never researched air bags before but do you have to install a compressor on the truck or is it something you just set before you leave? how often do you need to fill them?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts