Toyota Tundra Forums banner
46K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  kentest94 
#1 ·
here is the DIY to add auto lights. my truck is a grade model so i did the DIY based off the grade, but in the last couple pages there is info on how to do it to a SR5. i attached another DIY, its from another TS member that did the fog light switch install. its the same process for the auto light switch so i didnt bother doing a write up on that part, i added a few pics from my truck during the switch install just to give people more to see during the install. removing the steering wheel was a little scary before i did it, but it really was not that bad at all. just follow the DIY switch install and you'll be fine. Enjoy!

View attachment DIY add auto lights to tundra grade.pdf

View attachment fog_light_switch_install.pdf

#2 ·
Thanks for sharing. This is forum usage at its best!

#4 ·
Great mod! I've had auto-headlights on my other vehicles for years and do miss the feature on my 2011 CrewMax (SR5). Not sure when I'll have time to gather my parts and try this but I'm archiving a copy of the procedure and if someone doesn't beat me to it I'll eventually see how the SR5 differences you've pointed out work. Thanks again for posting!

BTW - what was that on your windshield in one of the photos? I've forgotten what rain on a windshield looks like (here in Texas) this year.

#5 ·
Added Auto light per this DIY to my truck today. Instruction was superb.
I have the SR5 (non-JBL) and the wire at J3 are already there. I just cut the three wires leaving about 2" or so at the connector and solder the three wires from the sensor in, replaced the headlight wand and I'm done :)

Thanks dpoll995!!!

#7 ·
I am looking to do this mod to my truck but not sure it is pre-wired I pulled the photocell plug out but there was no wiring harness attached. I have not had a chance to take the dash apart to see if it tucked up in there some where. I have a 2011 TRD Tundra. It does not have the JBL system. But it does have the USB/Aux in puts for the radio. With power seats & mirrors, mirror defrost, fog lamps, and seams like most of all the goodies for this truck. What I am wondering is I know if it is not pre wired for the photo cell is there any way to make sure that the new light "auto" control is wired in the steering column? I am not sure that it is an SR5 model it dos not say it anywhere on the paperwork from the dealer. Is there some other way to tell if this is pre-wired?
Thanks for any help.

#8 ·
more than likely you do not have the wiring for the sensor, if you pulled out the blank off cap and there was nothing there. the wires might be run to the JK1 and JK2 connector. every truck should have the wire at the light stalk/ switch. my truck is a base model and it had the wire at the switch. i just had to add the wires for the sensor. if your is not a sr5 then you should be able to just follow my instructions. if yours is a sr5 and there is wires in connector J3 #18,19,20 then you can just splice into them, if yours is not a sr5 then those positions should be empty. if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

#9 ·
Ok I looked and looked at all the paper work and it said nothing about SR5. Well walked out to the truck and low and behold it says SR5 right on the side of it. LOL dumb A$$...

ok anyway so in reading your last post you said "if yours is a sr5 and there is wires in connector J3 #18,19,20 then you can just splice into them"
Do I need to just splice into those wires leaving the original factory wires still connected into plug J3.? strip and solder adding the new wires? or cut the wires out of the plug and install the new wires from the sensor into the new plug.

If there is wires in 18, 19,20 what are they controlling now?
If I need to remove them I assume just tape them up and tuck them away. With doing that it will leave 18,19,and 20 open for the new sensor wires.
Thanks for the help

#10 ·
I would just T tap them. I wouldnt use those crimp T taps but rather strip back the wires a Little and solder them for a better connection then just tape them up good. Only thing i know of that those wire could possibly go to is the auto ac, but im guessing you dont have the auto ac. So really you could just cut them off and you should be fine, but i would just make the T connections just to be safe. If you do cut them just make sure to leave plenty to work with on the j3 connector side. You do realize this is not a very cheap mod? Most people liked the idea of having the auto lights but when they find out how much the sensor and light switch cost its kinda a turn off. I bought my switch new and my sensor is from a differeent toyota so the pin out on mine is different, i have access to a high end tester that helped me with the pin out. But the directions i wrote up is for the tundra sensor. Anyways just wanted to let you know to check the pricing before you begin and make sure its something thats worth it for you.

#11 ·
Thanks so much for all the info. Yea I have done some research on the price. I am getting a auto stalk and sensor from the local junk yard off of a limited. I just am just trying to figure out if this mode is going to be worth all the work to install it. The price is not going to be to bad. But I only have about 600 miles on the new truck so i don't want to start f&^%$&*# stuff up with it yet. LOL I do have a pin puller that should work with the Toyota plugs so I was going to try and pull the old pins 18,19,20 out. and put in the new wires with new pins. Since I need to keep the old wires still connected I think I will pull the old pins out then strip and solder the new wires on and cover with heat shrink. I know a little anal but I am not crazy about just T taping them and black tapping them up never looks as good.
I don't have the Auto A/C so I might just leave the wires out and see if they are not doing anything.
Thanks again.

#12 ·
Well just an update I have the rest of the parts I need coming. So I took the dash covers off to look at the wiring and there were no wires in the 18, 19,20 spots on J3 So I am hoping that after the switch install that the wires I needed that go from the switch to the ECU are there. I have the 2011 Tundra SR5 (non-JBL).
Seams kind of funny all the research I have been doing on this everyone says that I should have wires in the J3 connector already.

#13 ·
UPDATE

2011 Tundra TRD SR5 With out JBL sound system.
I did not have the wires to the sensor on the dash nor was there any wires in the J3 connector 18, 19, and 20.
So this mod was exactly like stated run three new wires from the new sensor down to the J3 connector and plug them in. Replace with auto switch and you are done.
I used some 20g 4/wire Beldon cable to make my wire connections (just what I had on hand) I would recommend a smaller wire like stated above. The 20Gauge wire worked but it was a little tight to get in the J3 connector.
All works great
The biggest reason for me doing this was that if I left the lights on all the time and just let the truck turn them off after a short time that worked ok But then driving in the day time all the dash lights and radio lights were set to dim so they were hard to see. With the lights off the go to full bright.
No every things works like it should have in the first place!!!

Also just found out with an after market remote start, with the lights set to Auto when I use remote start the lights stay off tell I get in and push on the brake. No I am not shinning in everyone's eye's with teh truck warming up. +++
Thanks for all the help on this.
Jeff

#15 ·
Great job on the install and thanks for sharing!

#16 ·
Great info to have!
I saw this one and the MPG button DIY mod. I ordered all the parts for both of these mods, and did them both. This one worked out really well. It was a bit more involved that I thought it would be (having to remove the steering wheel), but well worth it to have automatic lights again!

Thanks much to dpoll995 for posting this!

#17 ·
Yeah so I researched the parts and they are very expensive, so I scored all the wiring and sensor out of a camry all done except the control switch, trying to find a cheap place to get it. However I had to repin the camry sensor because it six wires going to the sensor for some reason. I have 900 miles on my Tundra DC and have done the auto lights, miles per gallon switch, magnaflow exhaust, painted handles and mirror covers, new head unit, and intake mods, and soon 20" wheels, steering wheel controls, and XM mod. Does anybody know how to convert to JBL?

#20 ·
the infrmation you supplied was great , but i have one question for now, you describe the terminals CLTB, CLTS, and CLTE and you will see its all correct. CLTB is 12 volts, CLTE is ground, and CLTS is signal back to the ECU, i understand the +12v and ground , but what is the signl going back to the ECU do(used for) i hava a tacoma and am tring to use a factory sensor for an automatic light sensor, none of the tacoma's came with one not even the high end models i got it to work but when i put light tothen sensorthey do not trun off and i think thats because i don't have the signal wire hooked up. im hoping you can give me help in this matter. i think the factory sensor is a phototransister but not really sure of that

Thanks Sam

#21 ·
Great writeup! To add a little more info:

Toyota part 84140-07141 for the headlight switch is shared with several different models including certain years of RAV4, Prius, and SEVERAL Lexus models. Buying used parts from a different car may be cheaper than buying it from a Tundra. I bought a switch from a Lexus IS350.

The Tyco connector 1318305-1 referenced in the pdf is indeed difficult to find. If you really have to have the connector, an alternative is to order Lexus part 82143-60110 (list price: $18.53). This is part of the wiring harness for the GX470 that connects to the light sensor (Toyota 89121-50020). Cut the other end off and use only the wires/pins you need.

The correct terminals for J3 are on the Toyota 82998-24290 terminal repair wire, which seems to be a Sumitomo TS-025 series terminal.

#22 ·
Hi txan, I was wondering it you have any experience with a 2016 Tundra SR5 TX ed? I recently bought one and found out it didn't have the auto light feature that my 07 Limited did. I want to add this feature back in. I am hoping that all the parts I need are similar to the older models since I am having trouble finding 2016 info and the dealer is no help at all.

I checked my center speaker grill and found that it does indeed have the wiring attached to a fake plastic place holder. In theory, All I would have to do it to add the sensor to the pre-wired location on the dash and change my turn signal switch out with a limited version correct?

Thanks,
David

#23 ·
Hey guys new here only had my truck for less than 48hrs. Coming from 2006 IS350 and a 2012 Acura TL. Finally thought it was time to grow up a bit and with building a house I will get more use out of my truck.

I have the 2015 SR DC model and I was wondering if these two mods will work on my vehicle and if the process is the same. Modding isnt something new to me just want to make sure I am following the right guides.

Thanks in advance.

#24 ·
I did the mod today on my tundra - works great - Thanks!
The wires were already being used at the J3 onnector - so I just tapped into them as mentioned.

The cars listed in the attachments have the light sensor listed in the DIY.
I was able to pick up the sensoor and the end of the harness with the clip at the local junk jard.

I was able to find a used switch off ebay for about 50 bucks.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.