Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my SR5 DC without the JBL upgrade for two reasons. One was that I knew I'd be ripping it all out to install aftermarket anyway so I couldn't see spending the extra money to throw it all in a box. Two was easy, the dealer had the truck I wanted and it didn't have JBL.

It's almost two years later and I'm finally upgrading the audio and I wished I had steering wheel controls. A lot of digging and reading later I found out it could be done, for a price. TS member jamesryanb helped me a great deal with the wiring so I started accumulating the parts. Everything I read convinced me that I needed a new airbag because the airbag to fit around the audio controls was smaller. I'll put you a few hundred ahead of me and tell you that by physical dimensions, mounting footprint, and numbers on the tags, the bag modules are one in the same. If you can change the cover you can use the module you have.

You can also use your existing wheel. The wheels without the audio controls have plastic inserts to fill the space and they're held in by one screw each. It looks like all you have to buy is an airbag cover and the actual steering wheel switches.

I wound up making the project harder on myself than it needed to be. I had been told I needed to bring three wires from connector JK1 (behind the upper glove box) to connector K3 (behind the radio) but my aftermarket HU didn't use connector K3 so I couldn't figure out how bring wires to it would help me. When I finally realized that I didn't actually "have" to use the connector, I only "had" to use the wires I would bring to it I began to see the light.

If you have the JBL system these three wires would come from the steering wheel to connector JK1 and on to connector K3. Without the JBL system the wires end at connector JK1. The PAC steering wheel interfaces use the wires from pins 6,7,and 8 on K3 (the 20 pin connector behind the radio) and these are the wires you have to bring from connector JK1.

First up is to remove your airbag as referenced in this thread
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/123579-diy-oem-foglight-install/

Find connector JK1 as referenced in the following pdf.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachments/gps-and-navigation-assistance/36786d1227104732-instructions-installing-oem-nav-your-07-tundra_nav.pdf

After removal of the glove boxes you'll want to separate JK1 from JK2 because it gives you more room to work with the connector.

I'd suggest checking continuity between the three pins in the steering wheel and connector JK1 just to be certain yours are the same as mine

On my truck the grey wire at JK1 needed to go to pin 8 on connector K3

the light green needed to go to pin 7 on K3 and the sky blue needed to go to pin 6 on K3.

I didn't actually install the leads into connector K3 as it wasn't necessary. I brought the wires from JK1 to the behind the radio and tied my Pac interface to them. THe exception was the sky blue wire at JK1. That one would go to pin 6 at K3 and would be brought to ground for the steering wheel interface so I just brought it from JK1 to ground in the right kick panel.

The whole process is actually a walk in the park and this afternoon I programmed my Pac interface and was pleasantly surprised that I now have steering wheel audio controls.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Great!!!

Ok, where does one come up with the airbag cover? The switches are easy enough to find. Does anyone have a part number ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Airbag covers can usually be had on ebay, unpainted. The switches can be had at any local or online dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I added the leather wrapped wheel w/ sw controls to my SR5 and trimmed the existing cover over the airbag using the pad switches as templates on the plastic part. Save yourself the extra $75 for a new cover, and trim yours to fit until you have the $ to drop on a replacemant cover. A dremel & exacto knife are what I used. I didn't want to spend alot, & got the wheel w/ switches on ebay for $200. Working on Nav install now. :tu:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ahh, how much difficulty is removing the cover? I have to claim ignorance in the matter, but I dont want to mess around with a loaded airbag (yeah, I know, the leads have been disconnected). The switches are ~ $130 which I have the part # for, but the OEM cover still eludes me.

Secondly, the ebay option seems really sketchy to me, the only seller with the things for sale is Thailand? All sorts of red-flags just show up. I'd almost rather pay for a dealer/body-shop replacement prices than risk an overseas grey-market part. I just want the darn thing to fit right and not get ripped off.

At any rate, thanks for the very detailed how-to!

Edit: The reverse side pictures do not look even close to the ebay items that are currently shown for a 07 tundra airbag cover. The exacto knife option is looking to be more and more an option.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I added the leather wrapped wheel w/ sw controls to my SR5 and trimmed the existing cover over the airbag using the pad switches as templates on the plastic part. Save yourself the extra $75 for a new cover, and trim yours to fit until you have the $ to drop on a replacemant cover. A dremel & exacto knife are what I used. I didn't want to spend alot, & got the wheel w/ switches on ebay for $200. Working on Nav install now. :tu:

I had a feeling someone would be cutting there cover before too long. It did look like it could easily be done with a careful hand.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh, how much difficulty is removing the cover? I have to claim ignorance in the matter, but I dont want to mess around with a loaded airbag (yeah, I know, the leads have been disconnected). The switches are ~ $130 which I have the part # for, but the OEM cover still eludes me.

Secondly, the ebay option seems really sketchy to me, the only seller with the things for sale is Thailand? All sorts of red-flags just show up. I'd almost rather pay for a dealer/body-shop replacement prices than risk an overseas grey-market part. I just want the darn thing to fit right and not get ripped off.

At any rate, thanks for the very detailed how-to!

Edit: The reverse side pictures do not look even close to the ebay items that are currently shown for a 07 tundra airbag cover. The exacto knife option is looking to be more and more an option.

I haven't really looked at how to remove the cover from the bag and still don't feel too bad about buying a whole new bag. It looks like I might be able to get a few hundred for my bag to offset the costs I incurred anyway. I had trouble getting anyone to order me a bag without a VIN number so I found a limited advertised online and the dealer had the VIN number on the listing. I used that VIN and they were able to order the airbag off of that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wouldnt feel to bad about buying a whole new replacement bag if it didn't cost $400+ :D

However, I like the way you think
I had trouble getting anyone to order me a bag without a VIN number so I found a limited advertised online and the dealer had the VIN number on the listing. I used that VIN and they were able to order the airbag off of that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
markj, thanks for the info, but i'm still confused about the wiring. I have a 08 dc tundra grade with out the s.w. audio controls. I found a steering wheel with all the controls and i think blue tooth as well. Can i just install the wheel with the audio controls? I spoke with a local dealer and provided them with vin numbers one for mine , and the other with the factory jbl audio system. They told me that all the components were identical. Do i still need to add wires like you indicated in your post. I hope not because it looks alittle confusing jk1 jk2 etc. I really want to add the audio controls, they look great, and would enhance my audio experience. I have a aftermarket kenwood system in my truck. Your help with this really appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
08 tundra dc tundra grade. NO steering wheel audio controls. I want to install these. I can come up with a steering wheel with controls on it. If it makes things simpler and i hope it does. My vin , and another one with the factory audio controls it appears that all the wiring harnessess match. My local dealer said that i may be lucky, and that all i need to do is install it. Like alot of things it's usually not that simple. I have a kennwood ddx712 head unit. I know that if get audio contols working that i will still have to wire in a PAC 127 swijack to get steering wheel audio controls to interphase. That is not the problem. I am concerned that there is much more to it, and that simply installing the new wheel with the controls will be all i need. I am afraid that there will more to it than that. Could some who did this already help me with this. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mark or whoever with experience on this, can i purchase a steering wheel with audio controls, airbag from a salvage yard, and a PAC SWI JACK interphase to connect to my kenwood ddx712 head unit, and have functional steering wheel audio control to my stereo. Thanks again, look forward to a reply.

·
E PLURIBUS UNUM
2,247 Posts
If you read the instructions it says what connectors to look for and what to wire pin to pin. He has instructions for jbl and non jbl listed above. Since yours is a tundra grade, I am guessing you have the NON jbl system, so follow instructions listed and you are in the money....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the reply Scottnmos: but I'm hoping that the wire connections will be there. Buying a used wheel with all the controls on it, and installing it would solve the problem, and that by adding a swijack interphase adapter will take care of the rest. You are correct i dont have the jbl system. But I also dont have the factory radio either. I have a kenwood ddx712, Do you think that i still have to add the extra wires as markj indicated. Thanks again.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I found a cover but does the airbag simply screw off of this cover or is it more difficult than that to remove?

·
Registered
4 Posts
This thread has me intrigued and perhaps this is a stupid question, but i haven't seen it addressed here. I've got an '08 Tundra SR5 without the audio controls. I've got the stock/non-JBL upgrade radio and am interested in adding the audio controls to my steering wheel. It appears that everyone here is upgrading the actual radio but i'm wondering if its possible to add the controls while keeping the stock/non-JBL radio? In other words, could i run the wires from the glove box to the existing radio and add the controls to the wheel or do i need to also upgrade the radio/CD player? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for replying scott. However, i probably shouldn't have asked the same question two different ways as i'm still a bit confused. Is the "yes" in response to me being able to keep the stock radio or "yes" that i have to upgrade the radio? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
About this Discussion
172 Replies
53 Participants
efishnsea3516
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing