Toyota Tundra Forums banner

121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
BD,

I don't mind helping you out with what I did though. The first thing you should probably do is check and see if you have the wiring at JK1. Since you have an SR5 you very likely do and won't have a problem and can follow the guide already provided in this thread straight through.

This is still confusing. I would appreciate if someone would detail the steps required. My truck is a SR5 but being it’s a RCSB I’m thinking it’s not prewired. I would like to get the wheel controls and buttons lighted it night and would be grateful for some assistance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just spoke with the shop that was doing my install and they said that wires were not there. Can you please tell me how you handled this to get the controls and lights functioning with the PAC and my AVIC?

Thanks Much!

David

BD,

I don't mind helping you out with what I did though. The first thing you should probably do is check and see if you have the wiring at JK1. Since you have an SR5 you very likely do and won't have a problem and can follow the guide already provided in this thread straight through.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I just spoke with the shop that was doing my install and they said that wires were not there. Can you please tell me how you handled this to get the controls and lights functioning with the PAC and my AVIC?

Thanks Much!

David

BD,

See this Post. Let me know if that makes sense. If it doesn't I can further illustrate it for you no problem.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1507273-post89/

·
Registered
59 Posts
The light just came on! Basically pull the sky blue wire over for pin 6, the green wire over for pin 7 and the grey wire for the pin 8 and connection all of them directly to the PAC, correct? What about the PAC directions to ground the pin 6 connection, I have read where that doesn’t need to happen? Also, will tying into the green wire at JL1 and run it to Pin 12 on the Steering Wheel connector aka J45 get my lights in my wheel working? I’m basically trying to follow these instructions and the guys at the audio shop don’t want to fool with something that’s not plug in play.

Thanks again!

David

BD,

See this Post. Let me know if that makes sense. If it doesn't I can further illustrate it for you no problem.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1507273-post89/

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
If all else is wired correctly it will light up when you ground pin 6. I just ran to a ground point in the right kickpanel and as soon as I made ground the controls lit up and worked for me.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The light just came on! Basically pull the sky blue wire over for pin 6, the green wire over for pin 7 and the grey wire for the pin 8 and connection all of them directly to the PAC, correct? What about the PAC directions to ground the pin 6 connection, I have read where that doesn’t need to happen? Also, will tying into the green wire at JL1 and run it to Pin 12 on the Steering Wheel connector aka J45 get my lights in my wheel working? I’m basically trying to follow these instructions and the guys at the audio shop don’t want to fool with something that’s not plug in play.

Thanks again!

David
Okay. On the diagram you posted earlier. Locate J45. Its the steering column switch. Here's how to get to that.

The plastic cover over your steering column (directly behind the steering wheel) is very easy to remove. You will need to turn your steering wheel a little each direction to reveal a phillips head screw on each side. Just turn the wheel about half way and look straight at the wheel and you'll see the screws. Once they are removed you can pop the 2 halves apart and wiggle them out of the way. All you really need to do is remove the bottom half. Then look directly below the steering wheel and you'll see Connector J45.

Pin 4 of J45 is equal to Pin 7 on K3
Pin 5 of J45 is equal to Pin 8 on K3
Pin 6 of J45 is equal to Pin 9 on K3

Pin 12 of J45 is your 12 volt source for illuminating the switches. I just located the parking light wire so that when the parking lights came on it had 12volts to this pin.

On the J45 above. You'll see there's already a connector with a few wires in it and places where you can pin new wires. I did not have the pins so I just stripped off some of the tip of my new wire and slid it into the holes and pushed it down in there real good and then zip tied them to a nearby wire harness so they could not back out.

it is these wires I just gave you above that would have normally been found at JK1. Now you can run them directly to your PAC interface. The instructions for the Pac will refer you to connecting to various pins on K3. Specifically 7,8, and 9.

Hope this makes sense..

B.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I installed a leather wheel with controls in my '07 SR5. I cut my airbag to fit the controls. It came out pretty good. I added a PAC SWI-PS interface module to control my Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT Navigation/Stereo unit. It is great to have controls!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ahh, how much difficulty is removing the cover? I have to claim ignorance in the matter, but I dont want to mess around with a loaded airbag (yeah, I know, the leads have been disconnected). The switches are ~ $130 which I have the part # for, but the OEM cover still eludes me.

Secondly, the ebay option seems really sketchy to me, the only seller with the things for sale is Thailand? All sorts of red-flags just show up. I'd almost rather pay for a dealer/body-shop replacement prices than risk an overseas grey-market part. I just want the darn thing to fit right and not get ripped off.

At any rate, thanks for the very detailed how-to!

Edit: The reverse side pictures do not look even close to the ebay items that are currently shown for a 07 tundra airbag cover. The exacto knife option is looking to be more and more an option.

hey can you share the part #'s with me for the controls. Thx

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey guys I have read the entire thread and I am still unsure if I can install steering wheel controls on my 08 SR5 regular cab without JBL and on stock radio?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been a lurker for the past week. Planning to add steering wheel audio controls.. was lucky enough to score the right wheel from a donor car on ebay. Before I dive in further, my question is does anybody have any insight on the wiring for this on a 1st gen model ('06 AC)? similar connectors in similar locations? Apologies if I missed this info in the thread. Will be using a PAC interface to a kenwood NAV.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well I did alot of research on this mod before I atempted it. I had successfully installed a 2011 tundra panasonic HU and factory XM with nothing more than a Corolla antenna and HU. I wanted to hook up the steering wheel controls to that unit and discovered I had no wiring from the steering column to JK1 or K3 for that matter. I managed to save a bunch of connectors from the from the salvaged 2009 Corolla such as CD changer wiring harness. I was able to use the harness and connectors to go from steering column to K3 behind HU, no rigged up wiring was done, now waiting on the steering wheel with controls.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, brand new to the forum and first post. Don't hate, I have read the entire thread. I am a little confused. I have a 07 CM SR5. Do I need a leather steering wheel to put the audio controls on? Or can I just use the one already in my truck? If so then I really only need the airbag and switches? Is that right? Thank you for the input and assistance.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Ok, brand new to the forum and first post. Don't hate, I have read the entire thread. I am a little confused. I have a 07 CM SR5. Do I need a leather steering wheel to put the audio controls on? Or can I just use the one already in my truck? If so then I really only need the airbag and switches? Is that right? Thank you for the input and assistance.
You can use the steering wheel you already have and just mount the switches. Some don't realize is the steering wheels are the same. There's a location under the airbag cover to mount the factory steering wheel controls. The only difference is the airbag is cut different so you'll need to locate one on ebay or make the cut yourself. Also the Limited's the steering wheel comes with leather but there are SR5's with steering wheel controls that don't have leather either.

Good luck!

·
E PLURIBUS UNUM
2,247 Posts
Just FYI, the airbags are exactly the same. Its the AIRBAG COVER that needs to be cut or replaced with one compatible with the controls.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok so I have a 2010 tundra Trd sport and had that regular orange light non jbl head unit but recently installed the non jbl headunit that has Bluetooth built in, looking to add the s/w controls and if possible the Bluetooth. Also is there anyway of changing the aux To a aux/usb port? Apparently the aux/USB port doesn't match my aux plug. Any input would help thanks.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Purchase the Pac SWI interface. As far as the Aux plug. I have no idea on that one. Most aftermarket headunits have their own built in Aux port.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts
About this Discussion
172 Replies
53 Participants
efishnsea3516
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing