Toyota Tundra Forums banner

141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
The PAC interface is only for aftermarket correct? I'm just keeping the upgraded radio that comes in the 2010 and up
Thats correct!. Do you already have a steering wheel with audio controls? If not you will want to start there. I ordered my steering wheel controls from Sparks Toyota. Your stock airbag won't fit once you mount the steering wheel controls so your choices are to either cut your airbag cover to match that of the one that comes factory with Steering wheel controls or do Like I did and search EBAY for someone selling a Tundra Steering Wheel Airbag that's made for the one with audio controls. Later you can sell your stock airbag to recoup some of the costs.

You will have to run the wires from the steering wheel control connector to the K3 connector behind your radio. I have posted the wiring that you need to do in this thread. I map out exactly what wire goes where on K3. If you can't find it let me know and I'll dig it up.

·
Registered
342 Posts
This thread has been extremely helpful with the my IS350 steering wheel swap!

Ok so for the illumination it is pin 12 on J45 on vehicle side of steering column it is just positive wire from lights such as the traction control button the white wire or I brought it off the head unit. For the sport shift it is two wires coming off the shifter, the wiring harness coming off the back side of the shifter right side they are ground seeking microswitches just hook the multimeter up to a ground source in ohms and start moving the shifter to plus or minus until you figure out which two wires they are but I do know they are PINK WIRE FOR DOWN SHIFT AND ORANGE FOR UPSHIFT! k3.jpg steeringpad.jpg steeringpadswitch.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All, I have a 2008 SR5 and I've installed the steering wheel audio controls, and can't them to work. I followed an old thread and brought the wires from the JK1 connector to the harness at the back of the head unit but the controls still aren't working, am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new to posting here, but have been lurking for a while and this site always has great information. I have added foglights and did the info switch mod recently. Both were easy, straightforward, and directions were clear. I really appreciate all the good info I have found here!! I just added steering wheel audio controls to my 2011 double cab and found that my truck must be different somehow so I want to add to this post and maybe help someone down the line....

I did not have any wires from my steering wheel to JK1 and spent a considerable amount of time taking the dash apart to find this out. I would recommend that if you have a 2011 base model, just take the two screws out of the steering wheel cover and remove it. This is easily done by turning the wheel left and right and removing the 2 screws that are exposed when the wheel is turned. After removing these screws, squeeze the covers together and they will pop apart. Leave the upper cover in place and remove the lower cover and check to see if you have wires in pins 4,5,6, and 12 in connector J45 identified in the red circle in the pic below. I already have the green wires inserted in pins 4,5,6 and 12 when the pic was taken... sorry...

P3171637.JPG P3171638.JPG Tundra SWIPS.jpg
if you have no wires (or even if you do) you can make this work by hooking up your PAC SWI-PS adapter as follows:
PAC red wire: switched + (I used a 3M T-Tap and attached to the red wire behind my Pioneer AVIC)
PAC Black wire: ground (I used the black wire behind my Pioneer AVIC)
PAC white wire: Pin 6 connector J45 (circled in red above)
PAC white wire (w/ 560ohm resistor): Pin 5 on J45
J45 Pin 4: ground
J45 Pin 12: to illumination circuit (I used the orange wire behind my Pioneer AVIC)

All audio controls work including voice control, and the buttons are illuminated when the lights are on. Simple as that and no need to disassemble your dash except to remove the radio, which you have to remove to plug the PAC adapter into the back of it anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also, tundrapartszone sells the airbag for vehicles with audio controls for $520 (plus shipping, plus $35 for handling dangerous goods). My local Toyota dealership price matched at $550 and had it ready for me to pick up the next morning. I went this route after getting a fake or repacked airbag on ebay for $400. The color was off (was lighter in color than the rest of my wheel... how do you mess up black???) , it did not fit correctly, and my SRS warning light stayed on constantly with the ebay airbag installed. I filed a claim and got my money back. I tried another seller who advertised as genuine, but messaged him that I had already bought one re-pack and wanted assurance that his were real. I sent 3 messages, he never responded. I decided brand new and genuine Toyota was the only way to go.

And the cheapest audio controls I found were $116 here: Toyota Accessory Car Parts, Accessories Catalog – Sun Toyota Serving Holiday, St .Petersburg FL (enter part# 84250-0C010-C0 for black)

Pic of the controls, and pic of finished product :
IMG_1740.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
To do this mod with the steering wheel controls. Do you have to have a Jbl stock radio? If I do have a Jbl stock radio is it just plug and play or do I still have to run the wires? If I don't have a jbl stock radio can I still made it work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
To do this mod with the steering wheel controls. Do you have to have a Jbl stock radio? If I do have a Jbl stock radio is it just plug and play or do I still have to run the wires? If I don't have a jbl stock radio can I still made it work?
I received your PM... all of your questions are answered in the 10 pages of the thread...
1. you do not need to have a stock JBL for this to work
2. even if you do have a stock JBL... if your truck did not come from the factory with steering wheel controls, you will most likely have to run wires at least from the JK1 connector behind the glove compartment area in your dash
3. yes, you can still make it work if your radio is non-JBL... again, you will have to at least run the wires mentioned from JK1.

My post is for an aftermarket Pioneer AVIC navigation unit so I detail wiring necessary to install a PAC SWI-PS adapter... since you are wanting to do this for a factory radio, you will have to follow the instructions for a stock radio listed throughout the thread. I did not do this for a factory radio, so I can't be much help. sorry, it is a lot of reading... but yes, it will work. You only need to buy a set of controls and either cut your airbag cover or buy a new airbag that works wtih these controls.

To get an idea of how much work it might be, I would suggest that you take off the lower part of your steering wheel cover and see if you have wires in pins 4,5,6 and 12 of connector J45. I describe how to do this in more detail in my first post (above), I also show a pic of the connector's location, and have an illustration of the connector with the pins numbered in that pic. If you have wires in these pins on J45, then put the cover back on your steering wheel and run the wires from JK1 as explained in the other pages of this thread. If you do not have wires in these pins, you will have to start your wiring from the J45 connector on the steering wheel itself. good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got done with the install worked out great.
I did not have the pins 6,7,8 on K3. So I add the pin to the connector.
The ran the wire from K3 to JK1.
I did cut my airbag instead of spending $450 for a new one.

Now I am trying to figure how to get the bluethooth to work on steering wheel controls.
I will keep you guys posted. IMAG0123.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
I plan on doing this mod soon along with an Advnet navi and any info on the part numbers for the pins and/or where to get them would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Eureka! It worked. I bought the controls, cut the bag cover and wired it up thanks to this thread. Cheers to all who has contributed to this useful thread.:D

Now I just have to fine a cheap mic to wire into the overhead console. Think any basic electret condenser mic would work?

Thanks again,

Warren

·
Registered
105 Posts
I plan on doing this mod soon along with an Advnet navi and any info on the part numbers for the pins and/or where to get them would be greatly appreciated.
Same here. A lot of good information here. I'm thinking by just buying the steering wheel with controls would be the easier option and just run the wires. I assume the advent navi unit has the correct connectors as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same here. A lot of good information here. I'm thinking by just buying the steering wheel with controls would be the easier option and just run the wires. I assume the advent navi unit has the correct connectors as well.
The Advent unit does have the correct connectors. I did mine just before I left for deployment 2 months ago. The only thing I need to figure out is how to wire up the blue tooth phone button on the right side of the steering wheel since it does not work atm.

·
2015 Tundra TRD Silver
103 Posts
Hey guys if your planning on taking your driver side air bag loose. The service manual for toyota says first disconnect the ground wire; this will erase your stereo/head units memory so have a backup plan. Secondly, you must wait at least 90 seconds before your start unscrewing the airbag and cover or you risk inflating the air bag since the air bag has a battery backup system. I have bought the switches and the airbag cover and plan on doing this mod to my SR5. I think like some of you that having the audio controls on the steering wheel will enhance my driving. I wish the blank side audio had some switches for other miscellaneous uses. Hope this helps you guys!
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Mikes 2003 Tundra New Carpet, Helwig Front and Rear Sway Bars, American Racing AX186 Chrome Wheels,
Stainless Steel Exhaust Headers, Magnaflow Dual Catback exhaust, Paramount Chrome Grill, Installed LED 6 ohm power resistors one in each tail light,
160 amp Alternator Denso, Gator Belt, Flex-A-Lite Dual #775 Electric Radiator Fans, KYB front Shocks,
Rancho Rear Shocks, Sony Explod Front Speakers with Tweeters 6.5 ", Nitro Rear Speakers 6.5", New Sway bar links
Drilled and Slotted Front Brake Rotors, 194 Instrument Panel LEDs, LED Door Courtesy Lights,
Blue Glow Instrument Panel, Pioneer Avic-Z130BT Radio HU DVD/CD, GPS, SD, Iphone4 Connection 2000w Icon Amp,
Kleen Wheels Brake Dust Shields Front and Rear,
URD MAF Sensor Calibrator From Under Dog Racing,
Chrome Stainless Steel Radiator Hose from Summit Racing, Stainless Steel Brake Lines 2" Extended,
VIPER 5902 Remote Start System, Mod - Automatic Lock/Unlock Tailgate with key fob, Ground Force - Rear Leveling Spindles
Rear Disc Brakes and Chromalloy Axle Shafts by Front Range 4X4 OffRoad, Replaced 90% bulbs wLEDS
BAK-FLIP BED cover 4 section, Mod - 5" x 5" opening in brush guard to allow filter removal without removing brush guard.

·
2015 Tundra TRD Silver
103 Posts
MarkJ, I have bought the steering wheel audio controls, and the steering wheel cover w airbag. When I got ready to order the PAC-SW1, the dealer informed me that there was a new revision to that part SW1-PS also that for my Toyota Tundra SW1-PS must be revision number 1.6.8 or higher to work. After that I bought SW1-PS revision 1.6.8 for my tundra. My HU is a Pioneer Avic-Z130BT; I just haven't got the nerve to dive into this just yet. Is there anything else that I need? My truck came with non-JBL HU. Also, I want to remind everyone, before working on your trucks airbags you are supposed to disconnect the NEGATIVE battery terminal and wait at least 90 seconds before disconnecting the steering wheel airbag. I really want to do this; I just need a little more time. If anyone has any tips for me let me know. Thanks.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Mikes 2003 Tundra New Carpet, Helwig Front and Rear Sway Bars, American Racing AX186
Chrome Wheels, Stainless Steel Exhaust Headers, Magnaflow Dual Catback exhaust,
Paramount Chrome Grill, Installed LED 6 ohm power resistors one in each tail light,
160 amp Alternator Denso, Gator Belt, Flex-A-Lite Dual #775 Electric Radiator Fans,
KYB front Shocks, TOYOTA 6" ROUND ION LENS 4X4 OFFROAD DRIVING FOG LIGHTS W/SWITCH
Rancho Rear Shocks, Sony Explod Front Speakers with Tweeters 6.5 ", Nitro Rear
Speakers 6.5", New Sway bar links, 1994 Caddilac Fender Turn Signal Indicators
Drilled and Slotted Front Brake Rotors, 194 Instrument Panel LEDs, LED Door Courtesy
Lights, Bull Ring Retractable Truck Bed Pocket Anchors
Blue Glow Instrument Panel, Pioneer Avic-Z130BT Radio HU DVD/CD, GPS, SD,
Iphone4 Connection, 2000w Icon Amp, Hunter Super Bull Bar,
Kleen Wheels Brake Dust Shields Front and Rear,
URD MAF Sensor Calibrator From Under Dog Racing,
Chrome Stainless Steel Radiator Hose from Summit Racing, Stainless Steel Brake Lines,
2" Extended, VIPER 5902 Remote Start System, Mod - Automatic Lock/Unlock
Tailgate with key fob, Ground Force - Rear Leveling Spindles
Rear Disc Brakes and Chromalloy Axle Shafts by Front Range 4X4 OffRoad,
Replaced 90% bulbs wLEDS
BAK-FLIP BED cover 4 section, Mod - 5" x 5" opening in brush guard to allow
filter removal without removing brush guard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone have any info on doing this on a 2013 CM SR5 non JBL. Is it prewired ? ( 3 wires everyone is talking about). As far as I can tell I will need to buy a new airbag and cover and steering wheel switches. Cost is around $700.00. I thought I was getting them when I ordered my truck. But apparently you have to order the bluetooth option or Navigation to get the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone have any info on doing this on a 2013 CM SR5 non JBL. Is it prewired ? ( 3 wires everyone is talking about). As far as I can tell I will need to buy a new airbag and cover and steering wheel switches. Cost is around $700.00. I thought I was getting them when I ordered my truck. But apparently you have to order the bluetooth option or Navigation to get the steering wheel controls.

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
I wish you tried to install sequoia's steering wheel with climate controls:rolleyes:. That would be really great.:tu:
Otherwise great DIY:tu:

Has anyone used the sequoia wheel? I am seriously considering going this route because I found a great deal on one and even though you can't use the temp controls, they could be programed for other functions assuming they are all part of the same control. My Avic can have up to 12 functions. This would give me 11. Plus it looks better than having that blank section.

141 - 160 of 173 Posts
About this Discussion
172 Replies
53 Participants
efishnsea3516
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing