Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could it really be this easy??

**updated 7/1/10 8:00pm---it's in and working great**

I kept asking myself that last night. More on that in a sec....

I made a trip to Greensboro, NC yesterday to a salvage yard and picked up a power drivers seat from a wrecked 07 DC. Got everything including airbags for $225! Most salvage yards, for whatever reason, are taking the airbags out as soon as they get them.....Oh yea, my truck averaged 19.7mpg on the trip according to the truck's computer and would actually be higher if I corrected for the taller tires.

Okay, so I get the seat home, it's filthy, nasty etc. I'm going to have it recovered anyway. So I put it up on a couple saw horses to see the bottom more easily. The two connectors on the right are exactly what I have so no issues there, plug and play. BUT with my truck having a manual seat and this being a power seat, there's a connector on the left with SEVERAL wires going into it (pictures included). I'm thinking, holy crap, I'll never figure this out. Why so many wires???

Well, when I look at the other end of the connector, the wires coming out which actually go under the seat to all the little 12v motors, there are only 2 wires. So I unplug it, think for a second and say NO effin way could it be that simple.

I grab a 20amp inline fuse. Some 12 gauge wire, pop the hood on my wifes car and run one to power and one to ground--remember there were only two wires actually coming out of the connector going under the seat so the other 8-10 wires coming out of the floor to this connector must be for "other" things such as heat etc.... To my surprise, the seat worked perfectly and actually scared the chit out of me when it started moving.

I played with it for a few minutes, put it in the floor and let it pick me up etc..just playing around.

Now as far as the 20amp fuse. No idea if that's what I should use but it worked great for the half hour I played around with it.

My thoughts are this. I simply and securely run the wire to a "hot" spot somewhere on the truck, possibly the battery unless someone knows of a better place in the fuse box and then ground it and I now have my much desired power seat.

Does anyone with knowledge of wiring--I have NONE, know of any issues this could cause? Or the proper way to wire it for safety? I'm going to check with the dealership that has worked with me on all my other projects but thought I'd check with you folks also.

I've attached a few pictures.

Picture: S-1 is simply the entire seat bottom.
S-2 is the "power" connector backside showing the two wires coming out that went under the seat to a "junction" box for lack of a better word which then fed all the motors.
S-3 is all 3 connectors. I had the two on the right.
S-4 is the "power" connector front side which came out of the floor with so many wires that freaked me out at first. But only 2 were actually being used.
S-5 just shows the "power" connector reconnected with the two wires I used to get power to the seat and will run somewhere to the truck for power and ground.

I'll probably run the wires under the carpet or through the door sill, whichever is safer or recommended here by someone that knows more than me.

If this works, I'll be looking for a passenger drivers to complete the inside of my truck.

I hope this helps anyone that may be interested in adding a power drivers or passenger seat. And also, if you have a power drivers seat now, your truck may already be pre-wired for many other seating options because this one was and it was an SR5 model.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the wiring diagram. The power comes from a 30 amp fuse. It looks like everything you need is built into the seat.

Awesome! Thanks for the diagram!! You happen to have the same thing for the passenger seat. --Power passenger seat wiring diagram--

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the diagram!! You happen to have the same thing for the passenger seat. --Power passenger seat wiring diagram--
Just happen to have that!:tu:

Attachments

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Nice work! How'd you find the salvage yard? I've been trying to find one close to Michigan for a couple parts, but I've had no luck so far. Any help on that would be much appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Added power seat

Nice work! How'd you find the salvage yard? I've been trying to find one close to Michigan for a couple parts, but I've had no luck so far. Any help on that would be much appreciated!!!

I searched my rear end off and finally found a couple sites that actually worked. They update sometimes by the hour so check them often. Many sites I found don't actually have the parts, they are more less a search engine and create nothing but spam emails!!

Try these and remember, check often as they update frequently:

www.car-part.com

www.partshotlines.com

BTW: I looked under my dash for the fuse panel. What on earth did I find on the cover?? Writing that said 30amp fuse Fr power seat LH and Fr power seat RH. I thought surely neither of these will actually have a fuse. Holy crap!!! I about pooped myself, they both had 30 amp fuses. Then after I regained control of myself, I said, well, there's no way there'll be power....so I pulled the new seat over, pulled out the fuse, pushed a wire in its place, ran a ground to the truck and again, Holy crap! the seat worked!! Now to properly run some wiring and find a passenger power seat.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I don't think so. The Tundra passenger seat just has slide and recline, same for the Sequoia. You would have to adapt a seat out of something else.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I made a trip to Greensboro, NC yesterday to a salvage yard and picked up a power drivers seat from a wrecked 07 DC. Got everything including airbags for $225! Most salvage yards, for whatever reason, are taking the airbags out as soon as they get them.....

That's an easy one: $$$$$$$$$. Those things are not cheap. You lucked out.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK guys, is it possible to make the power passenger seat do all the things the drivers seat does?

Not completely sure I understand what you mean. My drivers seat now has power recline, power slide front/back, seat bottom lifts up and down and has the power lumbar.

From the picture I've attached here in the PDF doc, the 08 leather Sequoia passenger seat looks like it does the same exact things my drivers seat does. IF that's what you are asking.

Take a look.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Not completely sure I understand what you mean. My drivers seat now has power recline, power slide front/back, seat bottom lifts up and down and has the power lumbar.

From the picture I've attached here in the PDF doc, the 08 leather Sequoia passenger seat looks like it does the same exact things my drivers seat does. IF that's what you are asking.

Take a look.
The passenger seats have slide and recline but do not have the seat height and lumbar controls. It might be possible to install another drivers seat on the passenger side and move the controls to the opposite side, but it would sure be a lot of work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had luck installing the passenger side power seat? The connections seem to be different and I don't think I'm getting power to the seat... I'm installing a 2007 seat into a 2011. The driver side was simple plug and play...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to install front passenger power seat with the up and down movement in my 2014 Double Cab Limited. Dealers say not to do it because of Passenger Side Air Bag! Comments? The wiring does not make me hesitate. I'll take info on places to get the track parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a long shot, but I have a 2001 SR5 Tundra (standard cab) with the 60/40 bench seat. My amazing boyfriend also scored me a set of power, heated, leather buckets and console out of a 2003 or 2004 Sequoia. Anyone have any wiring diagrams I could use? The seats are in great shape and a few small modifications to the console (filling in shifter cut out with a storage pocket and removing back cup holders...add a little fiberglass and paint) and I'll have quite the unique set up. Any help, lessons learned, diagrams, etc. are welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
brandyw, Did those seats just mount in and use the original plug, or was there anything you needed to do? I have the same truck and I'm trying to put a power seat from an 01 tundra in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts