Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Leonard top on my Taco and am considering one for the new Tundra. I am wondering if this will increase mileage due to less drag, decrease mileage due to more weight, or not enough difference to matter. Anybody with a top care to share your experience? Also, does Leer make a good fitting top?
Thanks

·
Registered
756 Posts
The weight and deacrease drag is basically a wash. However, the truck will ride much better with increased weight over the rear wheels. I just took my cap off last weekend and i cannot believe how much the ride was improved with the cap. I now have the "bed bounce" again, yeah.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
My registration $$ will go down by a couple hundred bucks a year. That's a nice bonus to adding the cap. FWIW, I'm convinced that my MPG got better with the cap, but I was coming out of the break-in period when I added it.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I don't see any noticeable change in my mileage with or without the cap. It does seem to ride a bit better with it, probably because of the extra weight.

·
Registered
112 Posts
JC Taco - once you pull the trigger be sure to come back and post details about which shell / cap you get and how your mileage looks, also interested to hear about your experience with ride improvement due to an extra 200 lbs in the bed.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mine leer cap did not mess with the milage any,,, but I will never buy another leer,,, they sent me 3 different ones before one was close enough to take,,, corners were cut wrong,, window trims crooked, windows installed incorectly, and the paint was scratched on all 3, the first 2 were bad with paint peeling from one of them,,, the one I finally kept had a couple small scratches and the corners and bottom edges were trimmed awful,, but thay all had extra material so I kept it and very carefully reworked all corners and bottom edges to fit the truck and be straight,,,, it looked like a drunk ape had trimmed it,,,,, next one I get I will travel to an ARE dealor,,,,,

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I have had ARE caps for years with no problems BUT there have been some complaints about them also. It depends a lot on the dealer and how well the installation is done.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I will not go back to the same dealor either,,,, he was a bit less helpful after he had my money! ARE might not be much better,,,, but LEER lost alllll future business from me, when you get a new $1600 topper and it is not trimed right all the way around,,, there is a 4 inch scratch threw all the way into the fiberglass, one window trim is very very crooked, and another window is so jamed in there that it will not even open it is less than encouraging

·
Registered
117 Posts
So how does one go about notifying the California DMV that a camper shell was installed and therefore the registration fee should be reduced?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone think about adding a REAL camper to their Tundra, like this Phoenix Pop up camper? Has Refrig, furnace, stove, sinks, beds, and all the comforts of home, and the Tundra carries it nicely!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got my Century canopy which is made by Leer, I do not like the color match and I am less than thrilled with the install. This is the second canopy I have purchased from this place and am pretty sure I will not be back. Underwhelmed by the follow up for the mis-matched paint and lack of interest in helping me.

Webby

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, there is a web site that i found:
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
it also has a way for you to add a station if you find 1.
it has many listed, in many states.

also it will help any carb motor, such as older car's, lawn equipment, etc.

although i have a gen1, i was able to gain 80 more MPG per tank full.
so if you can find a ethanol free gas station, some have said it cost is .10cents more per gallon,
it will be worth it.

but i had to go to a boat yard, where i live. the knozzle is bigger, like the old days,
i lined it up, & was able to get it in without spilling a drop.

i'm sure you to can gain more mpg.
i posted a thread in gen1, & some already said it gave them more mpg.
the estimate is about 3+mpg.
so if you were to tow, or just want more mpg, give it a try.
it was also mentioned about water in the gas.
i have seen regular gas station far away from any body of water, have water in there gas.
they make a bottle that removes that, IF you ever have that issue.
it can happen anywhere. i wasn't worried. nor did i have that issue.
but the gas was about ,80 cents more per gallon for pure 90octane gas.
also my UNICHIP worked great also.

i wanted you guy's to also know.
not to sure if you gen2 guy's always check into the gen1 forum.
i belive it's another great find.
good luck,
gorilla

1 - 20 of 20 Posts